Smith Mountain Lake?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead willie, Dec 30, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Has anyone heard how the cats are biting on Smith Mtn. Lake?

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Hey Willie,
    I really don't know about the catfish bite but a friend of mine that is a bass angler caught a nice 5lb largemouth last week. He puts in around penhook. Don't really know about the kitty bite though.

Wheelmobile07

3. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fished from the bank at the public landing on Dudley Amos rd, on thurs.
    I caught 7 small cats, 2 blues about 16-18 inches, 2blues 12 in., 1 flathead 12 in, and 1 channell 10 in. Not much size but it was nice to get out and cath some fish. I live in roanoke, by the way last night i fished new river by rt 114 bridge, lots of little hits only caught 1 channell about 12". smith mountain fish were caught btween 4 pm and 7pm.
    good luck chip

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Chip. Where is Dudley Amos Rd.? That's a new one on me. The only place I've found to fish from the bank is the state park.

5. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Willie, Dudley Amos rd is off 616. Fromrke eake 116 left on 122 right on 616{scruggs rd} right on dudley amos then follow signs to public landing. at first it doesn't look like there is much access, but follow small trail in woods down to lake. there are 2 really nie spots. i found them last year and almost always catch fish.
    Chip

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Didn't know there were blues in SML. Are there any monsters in there? What is the most populated species of catfish in the lake?

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A Canadian friend has scheduled a striper fishing trip to Smith Mountain, so there must be stripers there. Where there are stripers, you often find blues.

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    There are Blues, Flathead, and most of all, Channel cats in the lake. I don't know what the biggest Blue was that was caught there but I'm sure there are some big ones since most other bodies of water in the state have them. Maybe someone here can tell us. It's hard water to fish without electronics because it is so deep in most places.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Id be willing to bet that there are 60+lb blues in SML. What do u think willie?

Wheelmobile07

10. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i havent caught any big blues there but a friend caught one about 20# afew years ago. i catch mosty small blues 2-4# and channels the same size with an occasional flathead. Wheelmobile07 where on the new river do you fish? i live about 25 min. from peppers ferry or the dam and fish alot at those to places for cats, and from peppers ferry to whitethorn is great for big smallmouth.:smile2:

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    All my fishing on the New is done below claytor, but I must admit that it is usually for bass on float trips. Have sat on the bank below claytor dam one night fishing for kitties and had no luck.

Wheelmobile07