Smith Mountain Lake stripers

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riverdawg-1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i went to sml yesterday afternoon. the cats were not biting at all, so i started bass fishing, caught a couple nice largemouths. then i noticed 2 boats coming my way and they were oth fighting fish. as they got closer i noticed what they were doing, huge schools of stripers were coming up to the surface feeding. ended up catching 4 between 10-15# and broke 5 off. i was fishing in roanoke river side of lake. caught them on redfins and flukes.
    chip

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Good job. That's what they are doing here too . I haven't got myself into the #10 schools yet but they are sure there .

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw the same thing on the James two weeks ago and again Thursday. Busting threadfin shad to beat the band. Me with nary a spinning rod or bucktail on the boat! Next time!!!

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Awesome report Chip. Right place at the right time!

5. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    WTG,CHip
    I need to get back up there and find some of them striped fish.
    mikeb

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i'm heading out again this afternoon. i'll report later if i can find them again

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    ive got on them a couple of times here, got some nice hybrids(8lbs) and a few small striper(4-6lbs). its definatly one of my favorite types of fishing, you can just about catchem on anything when there schooling on top if you get there in time:smile2:

8. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks I was wondering when the run would begin and now I know. Good things my poles are in the car because I'm headed out the door.
    Later...
    Wish me luck...

9. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was up on the Blackwater side of sml and started around 4p/m and about 5p/m they started biting for me, I caught a few goldens, a 4lb. Blue and a Striper. I got the Striper on a Nightcrawler, it was pretty deep because I was bankfishing. I'm headed back tonight !!!
    No rest for weary if you love fishing.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had a blast. Theres nothing like the line stripping action of some good striper fishing! We catch them on Live skipjacks fished on the bottom in the winter time at Steamplants in Tennessee. Sometimes we land a good one or two over 40 lbs. We also fish with jigs and flukes and land some good ones that way too. :eek:oooh: