Smith mountain Lake Stripers

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Bullseye017, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to smith mountain lake in virginia this summer. The lake is supposed to be great striper fishing, but i live in NE Ohio and we dont have many stripers. I have absolutely no idea how to catch them, except i have heard live shad are good. Any tips would be great

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    do you want to fish live bait or artificials

3. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whatevers best, probably both

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    will you be in a boat, with a fish finder(its alot easier if you are but you can catchem from the bank at certain times) ive only been fishing for them seriously for a few months but ill tell ya what little i know
    they relate to food, find the baitfish and the striper should be near
    i mainly live bait fish for them using blueback herring, gizzard shad, and rainbow trout,dont be afraid to use BIG baits 10-15inches, big bait=big fish(most of the time)if your set up for big cats your gear should work fine, they like cool water, below 70deg, on the lake i fish the thermocline determines where they are in the heat of the summer, try doing some research on them before you go, theres tons of stuff on the net check out striper 247, good luck lets us know how you do:smile2:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Summertime isn't the best time to catch big stripers, but you will catch resident fish and schoolies. Stripers like cooler water and the bigger ones are up north like in Mass and Rhode Island during the summer. They are in Maryland now!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    take some pictures when ya go so you can show us

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if your lake fishing for them there not in the ocean,and yes big striper can be caught in the summer, find the thermocline in the lake, also there are southern striper in the ocean that dont go north for the summer there are several different strains, the ones in santee river system(home of ALL landlocked striper) are different than the ones that are in the savannah river system and so on, they prefer 70degs or less, lots of oxygen, and current, the key to finding them is find the baitfish, there eating machines