Smith Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by MSgtCatfish, May 30, 2008.

1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Anyone ever try and catfish on Smith Lake in it's 240 foot of water LOL! I've been on the lake a few times with a buddy - but we were striper fishing and the whole time I was wondering, man 240 foot of water with 40-60 foot pine tops ... could you even pull a cat out of that deep of a hole LOL! We did alright on the stripers - 3 24 pounders and a 16 pounder. Anyone ever fish Smith Lake - if so where's about and what style? There are a lot of humps coming in off the main channel anywhere from 20-40 foot (and then dropped straight to 150 on up to 200 foot) that looked like it was holding some fish but we were dragging big ol' gizzies for striper and never got to set up for some cats. We were in a feeder creek off of Smith and it was 60 foot deep - shoot that's deeper than any spot on Santee Cooper. The other thing is that locals say you can't catch gizzies on that lake (they prefer to go down to the Coosa and catch bait) - we netted 24 in about a half hour of throwing - the striper get big in there so you would think it would hold some decent cats as well. Anways, let me know if you've had any success.

2. JBibb

JBibb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hi guys, this is my first post and I thought I would post here because we have a place on smith lake, so I fish it quite a bit. We've caught plenty of catfish there. Tons of blues and a few 20lb+ flatheads. For the blues we use catalpa worms rigged on a light spinning reel with no lead. Dragging it across the bottom near a bluff or rock wall.s (Almost like worm fishing for bass) Not the 240' deep bluffs. This is the most fun Ive ever had catfishing. We do run alot of bush hooks/limb lines and trot lines also. Bait those out with the catalpa worms and small shiners (alive or dead). For the flatheads nothing beats live bait. Ive caught them on bream, big shiners, shad, and gold fish. But the absolute best bait for the flatheads on smith lake, (in my opinion) are baby bluecats, if you can catch them. We bait out a spot at the boat dock using a burlap sack and whatever you want to put in it, dog food, table scraps etc... This seems to bring in the baby blues. Hope this helps you out.

P.S.: Im looking foward to getting to know you guys and hopefully learning a thing or 3 from ya!

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcome. I am pretty new to the forum myself.

Man that Smith lake is crazy deep. What fork of it do you mainly fish? I'd like to get out there and give it a whirl someday. When I do go out on Smith for striper I usually launch close to Jasper or north of Dodge City.

You ever pulled any cats out of 200+ foot water?