SMELT FOR BAIT.

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman-j, Apr 24, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    No frills supermarket meat dept has whole smelt. They have quit an odor. Anyone ever use them for bait?

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I've heard that they work but anything works if the fish are biting right. Give it a shot at least that way you know tor sure.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never used it Jeff but would like to hear how it works for you. Try it and give us an update.

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I tried it but the fish weren't biting:sad2:

5. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I've never used em for catfish however have used em under a bobber and icefishing for northern. They slam em as soon as they hit the water:wink:

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah! I remember buying a bag of frozen Smelt to take to Lac LaRonge in Saskatchewan, Canada for Northern Pike and walleye fishing. The kickback was the northerns were in deeper water by the time we arrived and not many were caught on that trip. Never did try the smelt!!

Anyhow, give them a shot and report on the testing!! Should work great on the channels, maybe even the blues will like em'!!

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have used them in fact have a bag in the freezer now !! They are a little soft seems like and can be a little tricky to keep on the hook. I have the best luck with a live bait hook. The kind that clip back like a saftey pin and have the two hooks. Not sure what the real name is !! :smile2:

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    tried them and didn't get a bite on them at Summit.