Smelling Does?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by derbycitycatman, Oct 12, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I went fishing yesterday and called a friend up to fish with. On his way up the hill he said a doe ran in front of his truck. He had the windows down and said he could smell the doe in heat. Has anyone ever heard or smelled something like this. I know the doe in heat lures smell but would you be able to smell a doe running in front of your truck. If anyone else has heard of this Ill be using some scent this weekend for muzzleloader season. Jackies 5 star deer lure is waiting. :D

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've never smelled a doe in heat, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible. I do know that I have smelled bucks quite a few times, during the rut. I would presume it would be the musk gland I am smelling.

3. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I wouldn't say its not possible, but i seriously doubt it. Most does shouldn't be in heat for another 2-4 weeks anyway.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Well Ive decided to kinda believe it. 2-4 weeks off the normal rut isnt impossible. This property has weird acting critters up and down the food chain. The road really isnt a road just dirt and rocks on private property. I think im going to go ahead and use some doe in heat, even though its probably too early. Is anyone else gonna try some scent this weekend?

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I dont know how much of that I would believe. Im not saying it didnt happen but to smell it from your truck well that seems kinda far fetched. The false rut or pre rut should be going now so it wouldnt hurt to use some. You never really know until you try. Check out the post on that i put up last night and read the information about the rut and check out the estorous cycle of does and why they come into estorous when they do its a good read you can take it or leave it but its worth a read.