Smart Squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by TX Catman, Dec 22, 2007.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got some squirls on my property, but I always see them when I'm not hunting them:confused2:.... i don't know how to bring them to a certian spot i want 2 hunt at. Does anyone know a way to attract them to a certian spot... thnx

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if ya want to attract squirrels just go bow hunting. i see 50 every time. then i go squirrell hunting i am lucky to limit out.

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try throwing out a bag of shelled or cracked corn where you want to hunt them at. That works pretty good here in NC. You might want to check and make sure it's legal to hunt over bait in your area.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    my gramps showed me a real easy way to make a live trap for em. im going to make a bigger version of it for coons...works real well for them pesky squirrels. ill try drawing it up after a bit and posting it.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try to loaacate the den trees. Then set down near these tree before the breaking of daylight. Be quiet and before long you should have a lot to look and shoot at. Good Luck.

6. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man i read this post and just like about 99% of the rest it is a reminder to me why they call this the boc. i can understand talking bass crappie or even shiners. but what makes you think about a tree rat. you would think a few more people would talk about most of this crap at the coffee shop. and sabe fish, fishing, bait, boats, or even the best leaves to wipe with when your fishing for this site. i love the idea of this site, but im sure you have wonders the same thing as i

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Follow Mickeys advice hunted squirrels most every day as a kid. Go out one evening slip up to the area, watch were the squirrels go at last light, be there at that tree before daylight with a 410ga. shotgun loaded with #4,5, or 6 shot, kill them as they come out and do not move-get up until their through coming out of the den tree. It may take several hours depending on how spooky they are. Par boil, fry, and make gravy, or make dumplings with them!

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    A jar of peanut butter hung a few inches off the ground will bring them in also but watch out, deer loves the stuff also.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man' you could get rich knowing how to bring game to a certain spot, legally that is! lol Hey, why not just have them jump right in to the pan and cut out all the leg work? lol Go find them, after all that is why they call it hunting. :wink:

10. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I enjoyed reading all this tips everyone has, but, I have to agree with the bow hunting tip! You'll see them everytime and without fail!!!:big_smile: Instead of broadheads, bring blunts.

Bowhunting small game is also great practice for hunting big game. And nailing that small sweetspot on big game brings 'em down clean.

Lots of good advice here, good luck.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    put up a replica state or national wildlife sign .
    they are notorious for knowing where they are safe.
    i think they can read LOL
    we had 40 acres crawling with squrrel and deer
    if i was carryin a shotgun or 22 squirrels were seldom seen .
    i guess they knew if you were creepin around to stay out of sight .
    we could go to the lake a few mile down the road in the state park
    and they would come up to you practically eat out of your hand.
    i tell ya they can read LOL:wink:

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The BOC is a community. A community doesn't all have the exact same interests. We provide a place that is fun, safe and informational to a vast and very diverse membership. We all have a common interest in catfishing. But we all also have many other passtimes and interests as well. Catfishing is our primary interest and the main reason we all come together. But life is what all share with each other. Take a look around, you'll see there are many, many subjects on our site. Something for everyone so to speak. If all you want to do is read about fishing, then just stay within those sections. But I'm sure you'll find lot's of the other things we have interesting too. Thanks.

13. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Buy a squirel alarm or bark call, there about $10.00,walk out into woods use call a couple of times and as all of you bow hunters know once one starts barking they all start barking and showing themselves. Good Luck

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well being this is the "HUNTING THE OUTDOORS>Small Game Hunting,I did & do think of Squirrels.They are right up there with a mess of Catfish when It comes to "eating" in my book.

I love the BOC.Something for everyone!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can bait and call in vain at times until hades freezes over.They come out for two reasons.Food & sex.You see the birds and domestic animals active and feeding,the wild ones will be as a rule.The birds and domestic animals ain't moving and eating,normally no wild ones will be.There are exceptions,but exceptions are what they are.Smart no.I have watched animals for 62 years.

They do not care in the least if you took vacation or days off to hunt.They don't care if you have time to hunt.They do not care if you ever hunt.They don't care what you do really.Leave bait out on a full moon and Squirrels will eat it at night.They will also eat your sandwich and/or your fried chicken lunch along with digging the seeds out of that Watermelon.Some will eat your bait shrimp.They will eat your finger if you get it cut off.They will learn to eat raw chicken eggs in the nest and to roll them out to bust on the ground and then eat them.They eat bugs,mice,baby birds and bird eggs.I watched one stalk,catch a Cardinal and start eating it several years ago.I know all this about Squirrels.I had it all happen to me or have seen all of it happen!You can laugh at them or cry.The choice is yours.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i just mount them then i always see em,lol. this is a grey fox mix eating an acorn. hes the 3rd ive hung in the shop.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry ya feel that way Beau,To me hunting as well as fishing are deep in my blood and there to stay ,I love both and am greatfull we have these forums to discuss all aspects or our outdoor pursuits and learn from others as well as help each other out with answers.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    apparently some people cant read
    DUH it was posted in hunting/small game section:wink:

19. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    my daddy allways told me to climb a tree and act like a nut!

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well being you have that part down to perfection,bring me some Squirrels next time you drop by.

I love you Brother!I am surly hoping for another visit.You sure made my whole week.Thanks again for the visit.