Smallmouths in the Kaskaskia?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by MrFlathead, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    My dad was telling me when he was out visiting me this month that he used to catch smallmouths in the Kaskaskia River near Shelbyville when i was very young. Have any of you guys had this kind of luck because I used to fish that river all the time and never even seen one, all i saw was Largemouths and hybrid stripers.

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ive never fished that river but I have heard it holds Smallmouth. If you are wanting to catch some, find rocks. Smallmouth love sticking around big rocks during the spring and summer. If you can find a place with a limestone rock wall or big chunks of limestone in the water, you will probably find smallmouth. I have very good luck with them in little creeks that flow into the river.

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    my cousin often used to talk about catching smallmouth fishing with jigs in the fall using twister tails (probably tipped with minnows). This was over 20 years ago, but I would think they're still in there...

Smallmouth are native to a number of IL streams, I think there used to be spotted bass in the Embarras also...

Shawn