Smallmouth bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by gatortail, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    can anyone help me with small mouth and can they be caught in the winter plz help im a catfisherman.wanna learn something new.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    :smile2:I'm not an expert but yes you can catch them in the winter in the winter I have aways had better luck in small rivers or creeks here in Ar theres nothing wrong with trying to inprove your knowage

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The biggest smallmouth i've caught is in the fall and winter in the deep clear lakes we have here. Green pumpkin gig/pig usually gets it done. The bite on beaver lake is on spinner baits in the brush or crank baits on chunk rock banks now.

4. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks fellas ive caught a bunch of bass in my life but ther is an art to it and i will work on it.i like this part of the sight and i will be sending pics lol

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    hit the deep holes if you are fishing a river. crrek chubs work great. a white gitzit works great too.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Gatortail, how's the fishing going brother. I don't know anything about smallmouth bass, but wanted to take the opportunity to say hey!! Look forward to seeing you again. I will be on the water in a couple of weeks

7. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    brother ive got my boat open som when u get were on the water.:big_smile:

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Smallmouth, Where Do I begin?

One thought, in the winter look for the warmest water possible! I work at a refinery and have permission to fish a warm water outlet. That spot gets absolutely loaded with smallies in the winter.

Jason

9. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yea, and bluefox makes these single rod spinner baits and the smalls love them! We tore smalls up over the summer on em! They are way better then the rostertails spin better too.

10. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Hey I am still catching monster smallmouths here in W.V. and Va. on 8-10 in chubs and suckers. The water temp here is around 50 but the fish are still feeding in 3 feet of water before dark. I am catching these fish out of the river in 8-12 feet of water during the middle of the day but shallow before dark. Good luck.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Richie if you are ever around Clarksburg pick up some casto's spinner fly's them WV smallies love em' ! Live bait will out shine creek small river fish once it gets cold . Smallmouth are more apt to bite in colder water than alot of other species are . Be careful stay dry and enjoy !:wink:

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    in cold water i use suspending jerk baits, like rouges, or tubes. just remember that whatever you use fish it slow
    chip

13. UpperBearFishin

UpperBearFishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Try a Bomber #5 or 6 in a brown crawfish or green crawfish color.. We have been catching them below Wilson Dam on Pickwick along the eddy water and in the main river when not much water is running.. I had a 5.5 lb smallie about a month ago.. That was a helluva fight!!!