Smallmouth Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by bigpapa15206, Aug 22, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone fish for smallmouth? they give a great fight and are a blast to catch,for a bass that is. Just wanted to make a place to share some smallmouth secrets.

2. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I usually fish the top water with whole dead bait. I throw it out with a split shot and just jerk it to make it swim erratically like a wounded baitfish. Smallies come from out of no where and smash them, it gives me such a rush to see them come and crush em on the top!

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Tubes are a killer smallmouth bait also.

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    we have been using fly rods and frog popper flies and seem to be doing very well catching alot of small mouth.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Torpedo baits really get the smallmouths going. It seems they get off the hook relatively easy, but they hit it like crazy. Also, little in-line spinners seem to work really well in shallow creeks.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    try tail hooking live minnows and fly lining them out on an ultralight. During the evenings and mornings their flopping on the surface drive the small mouth crazy.

Also crickets work well for them too.

-Brian

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    ultra lights are the way to go. Top water baits in the evening, spinners, rapalas during the day. Crawlers in the smaller rivers. Smallmouth can't resist. They will start picking up more in the next week or so and will be great till the leaves start dropping up in Minnesota.

8. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Live minnows is the way to go for smallies,right now in the deleware there a million small frie around and they been turning the smallmouth and walleyes on.You can throw just about anything out there and catch some smallmouths but topwater baits have been workin best.Really imitates the biatfish right now.
    Usually i'd tip a jighead with a minnow and that works really well also.

9. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    i caught this smallie this morning while catfishing:p i casted the goldfish next to some fallen trees and the smallie nailed it on the fall :D

Attached Files:

• 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
  10. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    if you fish anywhere with shad then you should own a sliver kastmaster. I crush everthing that swims with mine. It was raining today and the shad were schooled up against the wall i fish and the smallies were just hammering them. I was just jigging that silver kastmaster and crushing them, even got a channel cat!

11. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    How big are them smallmouths your catching Bigpapa?
    I been getting alotta 1-2 pounders on topwater baits spinning baits and suspending jerkbaits.Occasionly get a 3 plus pounder here and there which just leaps out of the water when he's hooked! Was lucky enough to catch em on a day the river was clear enough to see 6-8 feet deep.
    Hooked em about 40 yards out and he jumped a few timers and went down,i could see em start a run from the boat and just pop out of the water,had to be one of the best things i ever saw!

Sweet lookin fish Swiftwater,that looks to be big enough for 3 pounds!

12. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I catch them from 14-24 inches, majority being 16" range but 20+" not uncommon! yesterday they were just murdering the shad. I dont fish for them that often but when i do it is a blast, almost every single one jumps out the water. I lose more due to jumping than i land! Those rascals have caused me to miss more catfish strikes than Peeing, cellphone, girlfriend and rigging combined!

13. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Anybody fish the New River in Virginia for smallies in the Fall. Appreciate any advise on best baits/lures.
    Thanks!

14. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    give me some details on it. what is the natural forage?

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I fish for small mouth in the spring on Pickwick lake. and then in the fall I fish below the dam at Pickwick on the river. Lots of days I can catch 4 or 5 over 5 lbs.
    Above the dam I use bandit crank baits and top waters .
    In the river in the fall. I use big minnows and a hook and split shot. Catch lots of them like that.
    Pete

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Big Crayfish and live Sunfish will bring out the big boys in the Ozarks.

17. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    small shad spons work great and even better tubes right now, went out yeterday and had over 20 with the largest being a 19 incher, not bad from a kyack and ultralight with 6 pound test. that picture doesnt really do that fish justice and that fish went about 4 pounds, in the delaware thats a huge smallmouth so i was pretty happy.

Attached Files:

18. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    here is waht is about the norm (16") with 20" not uncommon! I got this one a silver kastmaster.

Attached Files:

19. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Caught this one last Nov. Below Wislon Dam. Drifting Yellowtail shad. Can expect to catch a dozen like this a day when prime time.

Attached Files:

20. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    nice fish! how big was that thing?