Smallmouth bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by drifter000, Apr 27, 2008.

1. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i took the kids to otter creek park just outside of louisville ky. i caught 2 little small mouth bass on spinner baits. one was white spinner the other was chartruse spinner. never caught a smallie before. surprisingly fun. cought them in a fast moving section of water about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 feet of water.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome,Rob. Those smallmouth are fun to catch. my fav lure here is anything in chartruse ,we have the current state record here 7 lbs 3 oz an it was released

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    I DO NOT BASS FISH!

AND THIS SHAKESPHERE TACKLEBAG FROM THE PURCHASE OF A CATFISH UGLY STICK FULL OF GRUBS FLOATS LURES SPINNERS ECT... IS NOT MINE:roll_eyes:

AND BASS DONT TASTE GOOD! I DO NOT HAVE A BAG OR TWO IM MY CHEST FREEZOR NOT MY STANDUP FREEZOR FROM LAST YEAR.:cool2:

by the way, is anybody getting into them yet? not that i want to know. just courios. i have no plans on walking the creek to try and toss a mepps out for them with the shimano spinning outfits i dont own.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You shure you didn't think you was posting this in the JOKE section,Jerm? :crazy::smile2::smile2:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    one might think so.:wink:

6. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not that im trying to tell you or anything:wink:, but i caught an 8 1//2lb largemouth a 3 lb largemouth and 2 small smallies. just in case you were wondering........:big_smile:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im not. but thanks for telling folks who are ready to get out that there biting. and maybe someone wants to know what kind of lure. not me but someone might.:cool2:

8. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    It was only 50 degrees Sunday here in Iowa but my friend and I were bored so we decided to try our smally hotspot to see if they had moved in yet. Its a little creek that feeds into the Mississippi river and the Smallies and largemouth move in there every late April and stay until early June. We ended up catching over 40 largemouth and a few smallmouth. Nothing real big yet but its still alot of fun. It gets real fun when they are on their beds and you can sight fish for them. I use 20 lb test vanish with a split shot and hook with a 6" pumpkinseed\chartreuse lizard. I drop the lizard right on their bed and shake it. It may take a few minutes to get the fish mad enough but when she takes it she takes it!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good to know. looks like those who bass fish might want to get out soon. I DONT. but IF I DID it may be a nice day tomorrow to try. 74 sunny here. to bad i wont go to the pond outside of town to try.:wink:

p.s. i may not be on tomorrow. something has came up.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i go to the mad river in dayton ohio near huffman dam i usually fish night crawlers on the bottom on my small pole. i thought a nice channel i caught two nice bluegills, 2lb white sucker 3lb channel hey i thought it was a big channel but to my surprise it was a nice 2 and half pound smallie nice day on a october afternoon in dayton ohio. it weas fun rick

11. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i know your not at all interested, but i thought id throw it out there just to aggrivate you, i caught the 8lber on a green scum frog, the 3lber on a rubber crawdad with chartruse claws and blue body ant the smallies on a chartruse spinner, small one.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    scum frogs rule! we used to throw those at fork along the hydrilla at night. even though you know they'll hit it, it still comes as a surprise every time.

13. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Smallies! Now were talking my language. I spent thurs evening, sat., and a quick early morning sun trip this week chasing them on the river here in Pa.

Water temp was on the drop from 63thurs-56sun a.m., but the smallies didn't seem to mind. A couple of weather fronts moved through and a foot rise in water level got them nice and active. They were in current near spawning flats but only a few showed signs of spawning activity. All totals tallied, I landed just under 100 fish in 16 hrs of fishing from 6"-20". All smallies except one largemouth. Average size was 12". lost close to 20 on the way to the boat:angry:
    Flukes (soft jerkbaits), 5" worms, grubs, spinnerbaits all produced: best in that order.

Here's a few pics (sorry the pics are alittle washed out b/c I was alone and using the timer)

20"
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll353.jpg

19.75"
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll349.jpg

18"
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll348.jpg

few others from 16.5"-17.25"

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll350.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll351.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll352.jpg

14. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    i don't think so man i'm calling you out. an 8 pound smallie is a trophy bass anywhere in the world. let's see the picture.
    bass are over rated except the smallies. they live on the wrong side of the tracks.

regards,
    m.a.d.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice Smallmouths, Matt.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    matt. youve got me drooling. we have some good streams here for em. in 04 they installed a new law and no smallies can be kept from april1 to june 15. during spawn. you can fish for em but they must be immed released. i love eating them. the new law is to boost #ers in the state. we should have a pretty good fishery in a few more years.:big_smile:

heres one from 07

17. thesoutherndandy

thesoutherndandy New Member

State:
    PA
    Love catching smallies. I go to Lake Erie in PA every year and have a blast catching them. I got a 6.6 pounder a few years ago. They are the best fish to catch. I think so anyway.

18. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    I'll have to agree w/ you there. # for # smallies have some pull in them. Never had the pleasure of fishing Erie but would love to someday and have an open invite from the guy who makes hair jigs for me. So when I get the time I'll have to take him up on that one. He's sent me pics of smallies up to 8lbs. he has landed. Erie definately has some pigs, my home river grows em thin and a 20" fish is happy to be 4lbs.

Cats4uandme,
    We have the same regs here. personally I'm 100% C&R w/ smallies, but I'd never give anyone grief for legally harvesting any fish. I myself love a walleye fillet every now and again. Just remember that the big fish are the best spawners.

Here's another smallie from Thurs. evening. She nailed a Topwater plug and came clear out of the water, giving me a very good side profile view on the strike. She went just over 20" but was skinny and looked spawned out. But hungry!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/Alll356.jpg

19. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here in south Missouri we have alot of spring fed rivers in the central and western part. I've never had much luck with artificial baits. Live bait out of the river has always worked best for me. My buddy just got through canoeing the Buffalo river in Ark. and said he really tore them up using a Rebel crawfish crankbait. I've always used either minnows or crawdads under a slip bobber. Last week I was on Castor river I watched a couple of guys doing really well on the same bait but they were either useing a carolina or split shot rig. They were catching small mouth and pretty good sized goggle eye. The small mouth they were throwing in their cooler I don't think were quite legal but they were catching them. :)