Smallmouth bass baits?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by MrFlathead, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I have just recently started fishing for smallmouths and am having a hard time finding what exactly they like LOL. I have caught most of them on live minnows but I want an artificial bait to use, i have caught a few on rapalas but what else is there. I have also caught some on rooster tails while trying for crappie and white perch. What would you guys suggest I use.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In line spinner baits is what I use most of the time..The one I use mostly has a lil minnow lure on the hook..

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    soft plastics bro, creature baits. like a yum gonzo grub on a flippin jig. bounce that bad boy on some rocks close to a drop. also, there is the wooley bug by yum. drop shoting a jig will work to.

4. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    over the last few years i have caught 100's of smallmouths out of the new river on tube baits. the exact one i use is made by Gidzit i think its called. 3" pumpkinseed (brown) work the best fished on a little weighted jig head. get some of thesem trust me you wont be disappointed.

5. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    My 2 favorite baits for bass have been artificial nightcrawler (almost any color) and a single blade spinner with a blue and yellow skirt. I LOVE that bait.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish small creeks for smallmouth quit a bit and I've noticed that beatle spins have been my most productive bait. Anything in a chartruese or yellow/green color seems to work.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Small type jig is about as good as it gets.

8. fishstick11

fishstick11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i've heard madtoms work as bait:confused2:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Live bait choice Helgramites ! I fish with little fly spinners and Rapala's . I creek fish so maybe something else in deep rivers and lakes . Try flyfishing for fun my catch rate is lower but it is fun .

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i smallmouth alot and catch most on a 2 3/4" bitsytube in black or mustard on a 1/8 oz jighead or a 3 or 4 inch senko. at night i catch alot of big(5+ pounds) on a big black buzzbait.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm a flattie snob, but I be dang if I can't help but love those smallies!!!
    Man, I do great with small white twisty tails on an 1/8 ounce jighead.... I just tear 'em up with those.... it's unbeatable fun while waiting for the flattie bite!:big_smile:

12. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    green pumpkin pepper 4in tube u cant beat it caught tons of them. lmao

13. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    When I lived in the mountains of NC, I killed'em on a strike king Rocket Shad spinner bait year after year. It's small and you can burn it without it turning sideways in the water. You can get them at walmart.
    I also did well on a rebel pop R mini and Zoom finese worm rigged texas with 1 or 2 small splitshot.
    Good luck, hope this helps you out.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If they have them in your area MadMan makes the most realistic crawfish i ever seen. I prefer the smaller 3" bait in green pumkin and run a 1# gama extra wide gap hook on either a split shot rig or a mojo rig. Both very simular to carolina riggin. Any time i use a plastic bait i always smear it down good with Smelly Jelly in crawfish flavor. Seems that fish will hold the bait longer. Not certain that it taste like crawdads but it dang sure smells like em.

15. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Lake smallmouth and river smallmouth differ greatly from each other and fish them both differently. Our lakes around me have alot of Smallmouth, but i never fish for, although we catch a plenty while fishing for Stripers Or Catfish.

The River Smallmouth is what i love... And for Baits. I have 5 baits I use for Smallmouth religiously. But 2 of them stand out over others.

1. For shallow water and riffles. a Rapala X-rap. Models Xr-6 and Xr-8
    2. Yamamoto 4inch grub matched on a 1/4-3/8 jig head

My other go To lures stand here

3. Gitzit Tube in 3" and 4", matched with a 1/8-1/4ounce jighead, inside the tube.
    4. Zoom 4" lizard, texas rigged for deep slow pools

5. Its hard to beat a Rebel Crawdad....

ONE thing i do in my color selection, is i go with a Natural Color when i use soft plastics. For the X-raps, I switch back and forth between the Black and Gold, Hot Steel, and Clow Colors...

Also Its hard to beat a live bait under a slip cork for Smallmouth.. Hellgramites, crawdads, spring lizards and Minnows...

16. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Right now im fishing the river for the smallies while I wait on my catfish poles to ring.

Ive been using Gary Yamamoto 4" pumpkin seeds senkos w/ 3/0 skip dock hooks *weedless*
    the water temp has been horrid here so the bite has been slow, Ive been looking for eddys and cover and fishing very very slow sometimes not even reeling in after my casts for five mins or more.

Drifting live bait is working for me as well, using a size 6 baitholder with 1 or 2 bb sinkers 6inchs away from the hook , using Crayfish, Worms, Minnows, Helgrimites. Ive been catching my own bait in low water level creeks......saves alot money.

Hope this helps!! Jappy

17. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    most of the smallies i have caught have come off of small to medium sized spoons, thats my first choice with my second being small rapalas and lastly small spinnerbaits.

18. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    yes rapalas,spinnerbaits, and try a super geroge. also crankbaits

19. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    I catch a lot of smallmouths and if I am targeting 5 pound plus I prefer large minnows 6-10 in creek chubs,suckers, and horny heads through the winter but a 4inch smoke pearl Yum Dinger is hard to beat if you want to catch big numbers of fish. I fish an area in Virginia that has lots of monsters so I usually fish big bait.

Attached Files:

20. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    imho i have often found smallies like crawfish style baits and colors in or around rocky areas hope this helps