Smallie Fishing

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kawildcat, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kawildcat

kawildcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am fairly new to the area and new to the BOC. I was wondering if there was any small rivers around the Sunman area that held some good smallies. I have a 14' jonboat decked out w/ a little six horse motor. I was thinking about the Whitewater River by Brookville. Although I heard it might be too swallow for my boat any advice about whitewater or other good smallie rivers would be appreciated, Thanks guys.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Bill. Sorry I can't be much help cause I'm not from your area. But I love fishin for smallies as well. There are some good smallie fisheries in this state :wink:

3. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    We floated the white two wknds ago and got about 40 in the 12 in range a few over 2 an 2 over 3 and one about 4.5 lost at the boat all on touchdowns.we floated from noblesville to 116th st.Your Jon boat would make it but leave the gas at home use your electric and paddles you'll have to get out and coax her sometimes.

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for the report and welcome to the boc.

5. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome John. I've been doing well on the smallies recently in the Broadripple area. The catfishing was hot a couple of weeks ago, but seems to have fallen off so I'm out chasin' mr.smallmouth right now. Got a couple pushing 3lbs last week throwing beatle spins.

6. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whitewater has some decent smallies in it. I have seen some 5-6 lbs come out of there. I used to run a 14' semi V with a 4 horse motor in there. Not an easy task but can be done. Stay in the deepest channels and will have to drag your boat through some of the shallow rapids. The lake also has nice smallies.
    Steve

7. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    I live 5 min from broadripple but still go up or down from their,too many people think they own the river there.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Bill!

9. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I live close to Bripple too...probably why I do most of my fishing there haha. You are right though, a lot of people do act like they own the river around there. I can remember when I was a little kid, before they put the Monon trail through there...just about nobody went fishing along the river there, now it sometimes looks like a pay lake there.