Smallest goose

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by johnliester, Dec 2, 2008.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Sunday I killed what has to be the smallest canada goose I have ever seen. It cam out past another hunter who wounded it, the it turned and flew to me. 3.5 Black Cloud was a bit much at 15 yards!! The pheasant is included to give a size reference of this monster goose!!! Can anyone say Hors'devourse?

Attached Files:

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Man thats a small lesser! Lots of pin feathers on that one!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is known as the cackling canada ,Its indeed the smallest subspecies of all the honkers. I think there are close to 10 different sub spiecies of canadas,I have killed the great basin or giant canada here ,That bird weighed 16 lbs and had an impressive 80" wingspan,Talk about a B52 coming in!!!

4. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    All we have down here are the greaters and some huge locals. The biggest one I ever killed has a 72 in. wingspan and I know what 223reload is talkin about, that thing sounded like a bowling ball when he hit:big_smile:! Great job on the lesser! If I ever killed one down here I would surely get it mounted:big_smile:!

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I knew that cacklers were small but WOW.:eek:oooh: I have shot mallards bigger than the one in the picture. I would mount that bird

6. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I would have had it mounted if it hadn'ttaken a load of Black Cloud BBs from about ten yards. It wasn't pretty. If I get another it will definitely be mounted, right next to my giant and my blue.

7. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    No pin feathers to be found on this bird. In fact i think it an older one from the shape the feet were in.

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Small but MIGHTY good eating. I like even snow geese when marinated in coke cola and soy sauce then wrapped in bacon and smoked.Specks are pretty close to the Canada in flavor but I think favor the Canadas... We've been HAMMERING ducks here in north texas the past few weeks. Good hunting and Merry Christmas to all of you! Luke Clayton

9. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    First Canada I ever killed was about the same size. Shot it off of a farm ponds years ago. No bigger than a Mallard hen.

10. Quack_Addict88

Quack_Addict88 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd deffinately get that guy mounted!! heck, maybe you could contact cabelas they might be interested in seein somethin like that and maybe give ya a lil $$