Smallest Flathead Catfish I ever seen hooked

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Welder, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This summer we was lure fishen up a lil flooded creek and this turned up. Just goes to show how predatory they can be. Lil dude was about 6 inches long and hammered a 3 inch grub on a jighead and beatlespin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i have got a few about that size this year on worm and one on a chunk of bluegill that i have absoultly no clue how he got it into his mouth!!!Should of tried using him for bait...kinda looke like a bull head maybe youll catch his grandpa!!!lmao

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    they are pretty fish thou

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That little feller was hungry. I bet it was disappointed.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats awesome....

6. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Love to have that one for the fish tank to watch.

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    he would probly love to live in a fish tank being fed,yummy gold fish.

8. That's cute. I would be happy just to catch that right now instead of these Channel Cats!:confused2::smile2:

Thanks for sharing bro.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was thinkin' fish tank too! It would be fun to be able to observe their habits in a mini environment.

Bill in SC

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Cool!:cool2:.At least you know they,re reproducing alright in your area.:big_smile:.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, I would have loved to have had that in my fish tank!!

12. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I put a small bullhead about 3 1/2-4 inches long in a tank when I was young. The dang thing eat all the tropical fish in there in just a few days. I was always told they were bottom feeders but learned different. That's when I learned they would hunt other fish and not just feed on bottom. After that I had a whole new outlook on catfish and baits.

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i had a flathead about 4 inches in a 55 gal. aquarium,and i'll tell you now the watching was boring,the only time you'd see him was if he changed positions in his log,or at night,turn the light out for about 2 hours,turn it back on and catch a glimpse of him before he shoots back in the log.even a little light would keep him holed up.

14. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I agree we got one in a tank now and the only time you see him is when there is no light at all.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I caught one like that a few years back on a piece of cut shiner. I took it home and it lived in my aquarium for 8 months.

16. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Nice iv been looking for one that size for a long time for my fish tank but can get one. If any one gets another let me know how much you want for it!!!

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice catch...don't see too many of those when you're fishing.

18. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i could probly get you one in the spring,but thats a long drive for a fish.caught several last spring but let them go.trust me they are boring,and you'd probly forget there in there.a bullhead or small channel would be better,you can actually see them move.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I ran a pet store for over 10 years and enjoyed it very much. If you want to see more of those catfish in your tank use a red light, they don't reconise it as light and will be much more active.
    I kept a channel cat in a 55 gal and a nurse shark in a 110 gal tank. For my money the channel was allot more aggressive then the nurse shark.
    Before I let the channel go. I moved him into a 4'x 8'x 4' deep. the only things I could keep it with was a huge plecaustomus (sp) 2 huge oscars and my prize breeder Jack Dempsy, She was the largest one I have ever seen and was ready to fight or breed all the time.
    Don't mix your wild catfish with any thing you don't wan't eaten. If it can it will and if it can't it might just kill it.
    Studies have proven the Channel cat is the smartest fish in North American waters.​

20. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Troy heres a pic of my wifes first Flathead. That little guy bout choked on a perch that got stuck in his mouth.

Attached Files: