Smallest Channel Ever

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JAYNC, Nov 15, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was fishing for eels the other night on ultralight gear and just a little piece of worm. I thought I had another small eel on and it was the smallest channel cat I have ever seen. It was about 2 inches long, I thought it was hilarious. Anyone else ever had this happen to them.

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    While seining a ditch in indiana, i tripped over a rock and fell forward and when i got up i had a 3inch bullhead's topfin sticking in my knee...Ouch big time.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Ouch! is right,those little bullheads will lay it to you.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I hooked into a small chunk of old log once,inside a hole in the log was a C.cat about an inch long.

5. bassetka

bassetka New Member

I have had that happen too. But I was saning for bait

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    we have seen the little ones cruising the shore at night. i even saw a flathead about as big as my thumbnail once just swimming at the waters edge. they are so cool when they are that small.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Caught several in my casting net but not on a hook!

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Caught about 100 of them last night in my drop net while trying to get shad. Thought they were so cool I brought home a 1/2 dozen for the aquarium. Even got one flat about three inches long.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio

There goes the rest of the fish! :p

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive caught a couple this year that were abot two or three inches.once i reeled my line in to check my bait and i had one on there,i didnt even notice my line had even moved.Thers no telling how long that little bugger had been hooked on there.

11. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Had it happen to me this year, was reeling in to go to another spot and low and behold i had a channel cat that was smaller than my stink bait worm :confused: ... now i have 3 cats (flats) in my fish tank biggest one is 3'' they came from bait shop when i bought som minnows..

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I tried putting the small channel in my fish tank but it died in about 2 days, I guess something in the tank wasnt right.

13. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i caught like a 2 inch channel on a piece of a worm and a size 8 hook.

14. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I actually got a small (what I beleive is a flathead cat) while a store manager was dipping for some live baby bass bait. It is about 3 inches long now, I keep it in a 1 gallon tank., for now. Its black with a white belly, and a rounded tail fin. The anal and tail fin is what makes me think its a flathead. All I feed it is blood worms for now.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Caught a two incher on a #4 kahle hook with liver. Sadly,he got hooked in the gill, was bleeding, and probably did not make it. Can't use game fish for bait in Texas, other wise would have.

16. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    I Caught One About 2 1/2 Inches One Time On A Piece Of Nite Crawler...

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    can't say i have ever caught one that small but at this state park pond close to home here where i take the kid (mowed and picknic areas) i caught 31 channels one afternoon. 3-3 1/2 hours. kind of fun but they were all stockers. about 4-6" long. they let ya keep 2 at 10" or bigger. thats to small for me. i ended up taking 1 home to put into the garden pond.

18. katfishy25

katfishy25 New Member

Keep them in like a filtered tank!
    Then they won't die of dirty water! :)

19. katboy

katboy New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i watched some one pull one that was about an inch and a halfon the tiniest hook ever. the hook was no bigger than the nail on my little finger with the nail clipped. this all happened while camping.

20. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Yep,
    The wife and I went to Alaska & the first fish I caught in the Kenia River was actually smaller that the spinner I was using. And it was a legal catch as the minnow was hooked in the mouth. He must have been laughing at me when the spinner came by and hooked the little squirt. :eek: My wife has yet to let me live it down. She took a picture and framed it for the living room!