smallest boat for river?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Nov 20, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I am thinking about buying a smaller boat for use on the misissippi river. What is the smallest boat you guys would use there?

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Patrick,just my 2 cents I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than a 16ft.as the barge traffic and the wakes at times get rough.I fish the Missouri River here in Iowa and some Large impoundments and when the wind blows and the lakes and rivers get to churning you woulden't want anything smaller,and My preferance is a Deep V hull.JMHO. Good luck,Also make sure you have enough motor on the back end. J.D.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    For me personally, an 1872...but I'm a fat guy and need / feel safer in a larger wider boat. I also fish downtown St Louis alot where there is alot of barge traffic and they tend to create some pretty large waves when running up and down the river.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Bill the only thing 1872 means to me is it is the year grant was elected, however I would guess that it is the size of a boat. 18 footer?

5. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    I'm supposing it is 18' by 72" wide bottom. I have an 18' would like a 20' but then I couldn't get everywhere I wanted to go. Below dams i'd like a 30' footer in a backwater slough i'd like a 12'.
    What I am saying I chose a 17'11" lowe, with a 72" wide bottom, works well for me. Now welded or rivited welded will be about twice the weight but will be rugged. My boat is over 600# the rivited version is under 300# so take that into motor choice consideration. I need a 60HP where my friends can get by with a 30hp.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    1872 = 18' long and 72" wide bottom

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I had a 16 footer that was 52 inches wide with a 25 horse tiller motor on it and did well on the missouri with it. It was a semi-v which helped when a barge would roll by. Good luck on your search!!

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've been using a 1754 75 hp for three years on the Mississippi without any problem. I fish a wide variety of waters and that seemed a good size for my needs. If I were only fishing the Mississippi, I would have bought a 1860.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I think it depends on what type of boat your looking for. I have a deep V style boat that is 17 foot long and I wouldn't think about anything smaller in that style of boat. I've hit some wakes in my boat that scared me out there on the Mississippi and couldn't of handled going back out there if I had anything smaller. Now in a flat bottom boat I found Kutter's 18 footer to be a little unsettling at times (sorry buddy) so I'd say that my cut off on a flat bottom would be like Bill said an 1872 (like him I'm a big fat guy) :eek:oooh:

10. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey rat, I'm not trying to start any trouble, but I think Malichi just called you fat.

11. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I would go no smaller than a sixteen foot with plenty of ponies hangin on the transom. I have learned it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and wish for it.:wink:

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well this thread help me make my mind up as well im going to get a boat in the next year or so and the deep v is what i thout would be best for the sippi as well iv fished out of a deep v a lot and its what i wanted to begin with but you guys just reafermd what i was thinking hard to beat a deep v in my book thanks guys

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ps. im a fat boy too and swim likea rock lol:tounge_out:

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Patrick.. alot depends on how many will be in the boat.. I fish with a friend who has a 1860 Wareagle and its great for 2 of us, when there are 3 in the boat its almost too crowded to fish.. Whereas Bills 1820 will handle 3 easy.. Of course then I really don't like more than 2 in a boat anyway unless your just siteseeing and visiting.. But thats just my opinion.. A 16 ft boat on the Mississippi is going to be a little scarey at times.. Especially when the big cabin Cruisers start running by you..

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Harold......you monkey.....I have a 2072! Geeze, that old age is really starting to show itself isn't it!:smile2::smile2::smile2: I mean, good lord, you've only fished with me a couple times!:eek:oooh:

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I meant 2072 bill its been a long day

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    It's okay kid, I know...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. TheMick

TheMick New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 16' semi v with a 85hp on the back and I seem to do just fine on the mississippi.