Smaller reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Duane, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    such as zebco 33 and daiwa 208 and 212 series those reels that hold 8 and 10 pound test .Anyone else use smaller reels for some catfishing

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I wasn't really fishing for a cat, but with my Zebco Ultra Light, I caught an eight pound male channel. I usually fish with heavier equipment when fishing for cat's, but it all works. Dick

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    That stuff is alright to get started with ,but as you advance in the catfishing world,you'll see that you'll need heavier equipment.If you don't plan on hauling in a large cat,you'll be fine ,but one day you'll wish you had bigger gear and heavier line(I promise) :D

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    My catfishing gear is the larger stuff. One 7'6" Berkley med, with an Abu 6000 on it, two 7' Berley med/heavy with Abu 7000c3's on them and I have a 7" rod coming from Gator that I am going to put an Abu 7000 on also. Then my little caster for the small creeks is a med/heavy 6' with an Abu 6000. I ain't never getting anything bigger than all this, don't really need all this, but sure like having it. lol Dick

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I to started out fishing with 33's 202 and stuff like that 8 10 or 12 lb test lines. And i did very well with them but as i started noing more about cats and catching large numbers of them. Along with bigger size cats the smaller reels just didnt hold up to well.I would say if your just starting out or only fish just to enjoy fishing the 33 is a great reel. If your looking for that bid cat then step up your tackle but you hook that ones in a live time cat and have reel troubles.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use mostly baitcasters now but i grew up using zebco 33s and have caught large cats and carp and just about everything else on those.I still use those same reels ive had since i was old enough to remmember.ive got great memories and times with those,and the thing is they work just as well now as they did when they were given to me by my grandfather as a boy.And we never used anything but 8 pound test line on themman we would catch big fish with those,i dont know how we landed those with that light line but we did it.Makes for one heck of a fight thats for sure.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught more channel cats on a 33 than any other reel..I dont use them anymore, I use baitcasters now..They are good reels for smaller fish.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One of my rod/reel combos is a Shimano Sedona 750 ultralight on a 7'6" ultralight Bass Pro Microlite rod. I've caught plenty of cats in the 2-4 lb range on this rig with 6lb mono and in hydrilla. In open water, light lines and rods/reels can handle some good size fish, but its in areas with lots of snags, timber, deadfall, etc (structure) that the bigger rods and reels really help.

9. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I do have some abu 5000's but just wondering if anyone uses the smaller stuff I personally am not after the leviathons .Just want some nice size ones to eat.and where I fish the biggest I ever caught was a 9 lb oh yea it was on a abu bait caster.Just seems lately im taking out my daiwa reels spolled with 8 lb test more you get some good fights. And i dont practice catch and release just catch and eat.Just seems we gotten so technical with reels boats line that its just fun to back to the basics

10. shadow

shadow New Member

One of my favorites is an old Abu 5600c.

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have a few Johnson Centurys 100, 100A and 100B models that I use for trolling. I like the action of the reel. It can be used right side up, up side down and left or right handed. I picked up my first one at Central Hardware when they carried a line of fishing supplies, about 30 years ago.