Smaller reels and lighter line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Duane, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Anyone fish with smaller reels and line under 12 pounds or is it just me sometimes I enjoy taking out my daiwa silvercast 208 and 8 pound test and just letting the drag do the work on 6 pounders and under dont get me wrong I like the bigguns but where im at smaller are more plentyfull

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sometimes I go down to an old gravel pit that has clear water and alot of small Bass and Blue Gill. I have a Quantum Ultra Light and man what a blast it is to catch'em on 4lbs. test and a whip like rod. Sometimes the ol' drag will scream real good !

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use a lot of 10 and 12 pound line as a matter of fact I use a lot of 30 pound line for sharks running in the 75 and up class. I don't use much heavy line at all.

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    now your talking! I have cought lots of cats on 6lb and 4 lb 5'rods ultira light rod and reals this is more fun than life ti's self i have cought 10lb cats this way and love every min of it! any boudy can catch a 10 or 15 or 30lb cat on 30 -40 -50lb line!!!!!!!!!!

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    My son and I use light line on spinning rigs most of the time of love it. We do a lot of chicken liver on a circle hook (no sinker) cast into the moss and weeds. Channel cats but some have been a respectable size.

I don't get along very well with mono line over 20# test so even on my Garcia 6500C3's I use 15 to 20#.

I enjoy fishing so it is OK with me if one gets off once in a while. They all get released anyway. It's the game of "pull-pull" with a good sized fish that gets me going.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have caughts lots of channels on light gear like 8-10 pound test. Also caught some on 4 to 6 pound test as well when I happen to run into channels while fishing for panfish or trout. It is really fun catching them on light gear. When I fish meal worms and marshmello combos,or even night crawlers, its generally with light line when I do fish it like 10-12 pound test. I load it up on my 6500 and cast a country mile with it out there with a 1 to 2 ounce sinker. Really fun.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I've done most of my fishing on 10# or lighter line. On all of my bigger catfish poles, 20# is the heaviest line I will use. I just like the battle to much to just want to hog them in. I watch the bass pro's and they just whip them in instead of having the enjoyment of the fight. But then it's each to their own. Dick

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    4# line is standard issue on most of my reels, i have 6 or 7 ultra lights in my collection of rods and reels. now don't get me wrong if im going someplace that has the possibility for 30+ i'll go with a 12# or 15# test line, but for almost everywhere else i use my ultra lights... When you get a 1 lb fish on it feels like 5, when you get a 5 lb fish on 4# it feels like 25, its amazing... it also means you have to make different casts and place baits differently then you would othertimes because if that fish tangles you up in the brush its pretty much off unless you can be really quick or its only really small DEAD DEAD DEAD branches that snap fairly easily. I like UL for almost every species i can, Salties/fresh, doesn't matter... Heck im going to break the IGFA records for 4# test in Blue and Channels someday. Just gotta get my boat so i can get to the larger fish, cause no amount of weight can get my bait from shore to the best spots in most cases.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The kids and I fish a little private pond quite often. We've had up to a 8lb er caught so far on ultra-light gear and it was a blast. Nearly spooled me 4 times before getting him wore down.

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have had a lot of fun with light line on a small reel. A 23 lb carp in a lake comes to mind and a few channels in the 5 -6 lb range from a local creek were a lot of fun. There are some light, soft rods in the 10' range designed for carp fishing that are really sensitive with a small reel. It puts you in touch with the fish. That 23 lb common carp was followed with an 18 lber and it took quite awhile to land each. Oh! It is almost funny to see the bass guys using 20lb wire to waterski 2 lb bass out of cover. I know that it is competition, not sport, but still!!!!!!!!!!!! My problem with 4lb line is Seeing The Line to tie knots! What about "splash" the 121lb blue on 20 lb line from shore! That was incredable. Hannibal Mike

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I mostly use 15 to 20# test line on my rods. I have caught a 7.5 cat on my ultra light while bluegill fishing. It took me about 1/2 hour to get him to the bank.

12. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Fairly open water I use 12# test for my cats.If it is a open water fight it is a whole bunch of fun.But in the log jambs or rip rap I tend to use 20# to 30# line so as to horse those critters out of the heavy stuff. I believe that too many people use light line in heavy cover and it bothers me that in a break off the fish is sometimes trapped (hung up) and dies unable to free itself.Something to think about.

Bill

13. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nosnag I fish the marsh never thought of that ??? I guess its about the same as not using circle hooks and gut hooking an little one then having to cut the line and release them as i thought most hooks disolve after a couple of days .Guess I'll get me some 80 lb piano wire that will get them suckers in !