Smaller hooks yep I said smaller hooks for flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Welder, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been tinkeren and found some times smaller hooks do better. The bigger hooks are ok but I have found they are bad about setting back into a bait. Try a hook that matches the width of you bait. Like me I found a 3/0 to 6/0 octo j is just right for most perch and small carp I use with a hook to the back. Also think about it some fish may not like the feel of a big hook and it hampers a bait pullen em down to the bottom. I got the proof in my pics the blue in my avatar came on a 2/0 hook and most of the others on 4/0 to 6/0 j octos and 6/0 to 10/0 circles. I have moved away from the circles to many fish poppen off em and now use J octos 90% the time. The biggest hooks I currently use are 9/0 j octos for 12 inch baits and that is seldom now. I currently have been fishen with 4/0 to 6/0 90% when I fish and have been doen great.

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I think you may have something there Welder about the smaller hooks ...I to have done better with matching the hook to the bait.:big_smile:...Good post

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    VERY TRUE INDEED.

Ray

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info Troy. I will have to try it when I get a chance.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Troy. I have always used smaller hooks in the spring and I believe I have a larger percentage of hook ups. I use the kahle hook most of the time. I will give your post stronger consideration for the later seasons also.

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    iv never set out to do it,BUT i have got 4 or 5 lbs flats and chanels on a set up for gills on a ultra light 2lb test ( WHAT A RIDE ):cool2: