Smaller hook/bait in winter?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cumberlandcat, Oct 4, 2006.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been doing pretty good with quarter to half of a skipjack on a 8/0 to 10/0 circle but do you suggest I down size for fall and winter fishin?

2. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I dont know much about winter fishing but I would think probaly big bait because most of the bait fish has had all summer to grow before dieing. Someone will know for sure. Good luck fishing.

3. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    big hooks big bait thats how i play the game (hook up fish on) bent rods tight lines

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Winter is the time that I use my biggest pieces. A fat blue will take that like its no thing. This is when I catch my biggest blues.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The Blues in our area will be on fire this winter, especially the bigguns. The smaller bait or larger bait doesn't make much difference they can swallow a 2 pound carp whole. But I aint much on putting a whole 15 inch skip on and hiding my hook when they will hit a 1 inch piece of cut off the same bait, leaving plenty of hook exposed. Vern

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Keep doing what your doing since its working. I have caught my biggest fishing in the cold weather.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    In the winter, the fish frequently aren't feeding as agressive as in the summer, so a smaller hook and smaller bait might get more action.

You might go down to a 5/0 circle hook and a smaller chunk of cut bait if the big pieces and big hooks aren't getting any action.

Don't be afraid to try something new - even when your brain is sure it can't possibly work. You might be surprised.

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    this is all great advice - a huge skipjack or crappie filet on that 10/0 will kick it in the winter for those big boys- I usually use fresh chunks of chicken, but in the winter cut baits what works for me

9. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Looking forward to this winter as I should have some extra time at home, hence more time for fishing.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't change anything if you are doind well. If you stop catching try something different.

11. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I really don't know much about winter fishing but I wouldn't think that hook size should matter.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As a general rule smaller baits and smaller hooks in the winter is the way to go. Stick with head sized or smaller baits and I generally don't use bigger than a 7/0 kahle in the winter. That being said I will still throw out one big bait on a 10/0 kahle I won't get many bites but it will be a big one when I do.:wink: