Smaller Fillet Knives for Cutting Bait?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by festus, Oct 6, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Does anyone know if there's a fillet knife made especially for cutting bait? I use a 6-1/2" bladed fillet knife, but want a shorter one for bait cutting. Say with a 4" or 4-1/2" blade. 90% of the cut bait I use is bluegill, so I really don't need a long knife, besides, my current knife is too long for my tackle bag.

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    you can get a little bait knife at walmart for $2. It aint the sharpest knife there is but will be fine for bait.

4. festus

festus New Member

Thanks bigBB, it has a 4-3/8" blade and is 9" overall including handle. Probably small enough for me. For $18.82, you can't beat it.

5. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the reply, brownie, I checked Walmart's website and they say this bait knife is no longer available. But I did find one at Bass Pro Shops site for $4.99. It's made by Offshore Angler and has a 4" blade, it telescopes so it would be the perfect size. (also the perfect price)

Here's their review:
    This knife features a great, telescoping blade designed to allow for convenient storage in small areas--like tackle box trays. Outfitted with an ergonomic handle, this bait knife's 4'' stainless steel blade holds its edge, easily cuts bait and cruises through braided fishing line. Plus, it's equipped with a very convenient emergency mono cutting slot that's functional while the blade is closed and a diamond-edged, mini hook hone on the side to guarantee every hook has the right penetrating sharpness. Handle Color: Black.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catfish Connection carries the 4" Rapala fillet knife. Wal Marts in your area may also carry it. It comes with a sheath and sharpner.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I prefer to use a pair of heavy duty kitchen shears for cutting most of my bait. Unless you are using really BIG bait, they handle about anything. Works great for chunking up baitfish or other baits (liver, other meats, etc). I also use them on my live baits to clip the fins. Much easier, safer, and more precise than using the knife. Don't have to worry about putting it back in the sheath either, so no bare blades laying around to cause problems.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use Fiskar 4" Garden Shears to cut all of my bait. They have worked great for the last few years.

9. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Mickey, it looks like a great knife. It's $16.15. I don't know whether to spend $4.99 for the Buck, or $16.15 for the Rapala. I already have a very good fillet knife, so I it's probably best to go with that, since it's only for cutting bait. But the Rapala would fillet most panfish, so I'm stuck with a decision.

10. festus

festus New Member

Dave, I have some of those Fiskar shears I use for pruning my grapevines. I'll remember that for cutting fins off my baits. Thanks.:big_smile:

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    too bad you're in TN if you were in DE most of the bait shops get knives from the chicken plants and they are great bait knives. hard to beat the price too $2 dollars at most shops.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think those needle point fillet knives are dangerous as all get out. Sometimes you gotta think about your safety when you're stupid tired and in the dark and they're isn't anyone around to help you. Don't worry about $10. Stay safe and go fish another day. I bring along a junk, $2 serrated pocket knife when I remember. I don't like my good one getting dull after slicing into one bait that flopped into dirt or sand.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Most bait shops around here have bait knives, under 5.00 bucks. They are just cheap plastic handle knives but they work. If I don't have one I just use my swiss army knife. I used to use the fillet knife, but too much pain in the rear for a good knife anyway.

14. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I use the small rapala fillet knife. It fits in my tackle bag or box and is real handy. I recently dropped one overboard that I have had for years so I guess I will be buying a new one soon. :embarassed:

:cool2:

15. festus

festus New Member

I'm going with the $4.99 Buck fillet knife from BPS. It's telescopic, so it will be so tiny it'll take minimal space.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I like the packing house cast-offs too,big rubber non-slip handle and the blade is usually wore down to 4/5 inches long and not very wide. they are great on the boat or in the tackle box,and you can hold onto them even when covered in slime and gunk.
    when I didn't have those available I always used a old peice of junk sheath knife that I got from a garage sale.
    I would never use my fillet knives for bait cutting,they were not designed for the abuse of cutting through all that bone,mine are razor sharp and will stay that way for when needed to clean fish,any old knife will cut bait,the kitchen shears work well too.