Smaller catfish, Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, Jun 8, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    On my next trip to monticello I plan on bringing my wife and my buddy is bringing his. We want our wives to catch fish, not necessarily big fish but good eating size, what is our best bet?
    Is the earth dam that separates the lakes good fishing?

2. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Worms or shrimp on the bottom in 30-40- 50 feet or so. Go over by the sce&g dock on the dam and cruise towards the power plant. Theres a flat out there that hold alot of small fish.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Pert near any where on Monty you can catch small fish. Not sure what area y'all will be in but small cats, mainly channels stay fairly close to the islands. Mussels and worms are the cheapest bait but shrimp and minnows will fill a cooler fast.

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I agree with thomas u can catch small ones any were. Can't beat doc's bait and marshmellows especially at night aroun the islands.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i was out this past monday and carried my wife with me and threw one rod out with worm and chiken liver to keep her occupied...little fish will terrorize the bait and i mean little...caught one that could not have been much more than 4 inches...gotta weed thru the little ones and you will catch eaters...patience, patience, patience...as far as a spot to go...well go where it looks good to you...there will be fish there...all you gotta do is get them to bite.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like cut shad. Cut it about as big as a quarter, #3 gamagatsu circles and your all set. If it's breezy you can drift the deep water fishing shallow and do real good some days. Don't use any weight just a swivel and hook, and let a lot of line out. Your bait never gets low enough to hang anything and you catch pretty much all 2 and 3 lb fish.