smaller cat circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by scoby, Mar 22, 2018.

1. scoby

scoby Member

State:
    tennessee
    I jug fish on a local lake that generally produces channel and blue cats in the 2 to 3 lb. range. I am fixing to switch my noodle jugs to circle hooks. Our local Wal-mart doesn't have much selection on circle hooks and every time I have ordered hooks online they aren't quite the size I thought they were. Can someone point me to a good "thin wire" circle hook that would fill this bill.

Aceoky likes this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    scabby, I like Gamakatsu hooks. Sizes seem to be what I think they should be and they are sharp. I get them for a good price from eBay. I would think with what you are fishing for, a 4/0 or 5/0 would be right. Others may like something different and that is what makes the world go round.

A good habit would be to always check your point sharpness on tour thumb nail. A very sharp hook is especially important for jugs.

A good catalog to get is from Catfish Connection. It shows hooks as well as other terminal tackle at actual size so makes a great reference.

tight lines

Cheerio Kid, Aceoky, brocat and 6 others like this.

3. scoby

scoby Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks, twaskom. I will check them out.

4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am planning to do a little cat fishing in TN this coming weekend. Please don't over feed them before I get there.:wink1:

5. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I'll try to find the link later but there is a nice selection on Amazon . 150 circle hooks for ten bucks. Sizes range from 1 to 5/0 they look like gamas octo circles.

scoby likes this.
  6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    your local wal-mart should have team catfish brand hooks from 5/0 to 8/0 ours does and there under 3 dollars

eastforker and Zeke like this.
  7. JHB51

JHB51 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Joe
    I purchased some Team Catfish 5/0 hooks at Wal Mart today. Across the isle they had Eagle Claw the TC size 5/0 matched up to 8/0 in EC. So much for standardization of sizes. This is not the first time I have run into this.

eastforker likes this.
  8. scoby

scoby Member

State:
    tennessee
    that's what I have ran into ordering them

9. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    If you saying there is no standards in the sizing of hooks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your right. If I am looking at them at the store, it is not a problem because I know about what actual size I wan, no matter what number the stick on it. It is when you are wording them that you can get screwed up.

The power and action of a rod is almost the same.

tight lines

Cheerio Kid, HaskelCat, scoby and 2 others like this.
  10. eastforker

eastforker Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Each brand seems to have there own size. I wish they told you gap size and length in a measurement. Online sites should have the hook being measured with a ruler or calipers, otherwise I just use the https://www.catfishconnection.com/Store/Details/CATALOG/AAACATALOG/CATALOG/2018-CATALOG/ catalog for actual sizes of hooks and then order based on that usually who ever has free shipping.
    I just ordered these from Amazon, 85 small circle hooks from size 2/0 to 5/0 these are tiny hooks but 85 hooks for $5.46 and a little hook box seemed like a good deal. Had to spend $25 dollars to get the deal so I got some other tackle I needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c-0c54-57d3-8daf-ac07425fc169&pf_rd_i=3409951

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    If your only going for 2 and e pound cats? I would use a 3/0 or a 4/0 hook

Beastly Backlash likes this.
  12. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    The ones I found on Amazon has a chart with gap size height and length for each size.

eastforker likes this.
  13. scoby

scoby Member

State:
    tennessee
    This is exactly what I have ran into before, that's why I don't like ordering them.

14. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    The Joy's of ordering online... what you expect vs what you get. What I ordered, what I got, compared to the same size hook from a different manufacturer.

Screenshot_20180323-163156_Chrome.jpg 20180323_163207.jpg 20180323_165718.jpg

Zigarro likes this.
  15. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Those two hooks look the same size to me, just one is a double action circle hook and the other a sickle octopus. Two totally different hooks, but the gap and shank length looks the same.

Zigarro likes this.
  16. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    2-3lb fish, a 5/0 or 6/0 octopus circle should do it just fine. I like gamas and ebay hooks personally, hate team catfish/daiichi

17. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Manufacturers website shows a turned up eye... actual hook has a straight eye.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  18. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Where did you buy them? Were they retail package or bulk? Tk11 all have turned eyes