Small world

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jun 3, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Today I'm taking a nap in my recliner.. wife is at computer, she sees I have mail from a guy that sends interesting pictures so she opens the mail, looks at the picture and screams!

This guy is someone that I met on the internet that was station in the same USAF outfit as myself in Newfoundland, 1954. We didn't know or remember each other for his 2 years was about up and he rotated back to the states. I was able to make contact with him couple years ago through another stranger on the internet. I then find out he has a web site about our old outfit with lots of pictures but I'm not in them.

Getting back to the picture he sent me... another person sent him the picture to see if he knew anyone and now he's asking if I can ID anyone in the picture.
    Sure can, the 19 year old kid on the left is me! Sharp was the kid in the center, I don't remember the other. I place times with the picture it was made in May 1954.

It was quite a surprise to be sent a picture that old of myself that I didn't know even existed. As far as I know it's the only picture made in Newfoundland that I'm in.

Attached Files:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Wow that is really cool. That probably wouldn't have ever happened without acees to the internet.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Dayton, you haven't changed abit.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dayton,

Awesome post! That picture is super clear for the date its from.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dayton, something like this happening to me would knock me off my chair. That is really neat buddy and the picture looks like it was taken yesterday not 52 years ago! Do you remember the day it was taken?

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    That is very neat, Dayton!:smile2:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was quite a shock.
    No, I can't remember the picture being taken. I guessed at the month using my rank, the background and the fact that the guy that took the picture rotated back to the states soon after. I had only been there couple months.

The picture was scanned from a 35MM slide.. several guys had the Argus C3 cameras.. they took great slides... why didn't I cut back on my beer spending and get me a camera. :angry:

Thanks to all of you for your comments! :smile2:

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    That sure would be a heck of a surprise, great pic!

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My son once worked with a guy that i had ben in the army with. This guy was showing some old pictures at work. My son said that looks like my dad. I really had a good laugh becaus my son was a junior bill hadn't said anything about knowing me when he met my son. Just waited to show pictures. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT HE WAS IN INDIANAPOLIS.( darn cap lock)
    Thanks for the post. it brought back memmories.

10. I did my AIT at Leonard Wood in 87. When I was assigned to my unit one of the drills noticed my accent and asked about (he had a similar accent). When I told him I was from Alabama and he replied that he was from LA (lower Alabama) and I responded that my people were from LA as well it caught the interest of the feild first sgt. I noticed his name tape said Mathews and he noticed mine was McLeod. Long to short we were cousins. Never had a problem as long as I was stationed at Leonard Wood. LOL

11. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Fantastic picture Dayton,congrats...

12. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Thats Cool I Hope I Can See People That I Was Stationed With In The Years To Come.

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Great post thanks for sharing

14. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That is a great storie! Seeing old pictures like that is like going back in time with old memories coming back like they just happened.
    Thanks for sharing.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great picture Dayton, that picture is impecably clear. May of been cleaned up somewhere but man it is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Dayton,
    There is a surreal quality to that photograph for sure! There aren't many pictures taken in 2006 that look that good! That's an awesome shot for any era! I know seeing that for the first time was nothing less than you being totally awestruck. Thanks for sharing...

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :roll_eyes: GREAT PICTURES. BET THAT DID SHOCK THE WIFE. DID SHE FAINT?

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    As handsome today as you were then! I bet your wife did a double take on that picture. Thanks for sharing!

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The world is getting smaller everyday!

20. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I thought that too, but wasn't gonna say it......Looks good Dayton, nice picture for the age. Thats ok, somethin landed on me and left this airfield, LMAO