Small Spoons for Skipjack???

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by DemolitionMan, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Has anyone ever fished microspoons for skippies????I have some microspoons that I'm wanting to use/try on skippies....I was wondering what everyone thought about it...Or at least, the ones who knows how to catch skippies...lol....Dwight

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Small spoons work. I usually put a small spoon on the end of my sabiki rig (1/8 - 1/4 ounce). It serves as an extra "flash" as well as weight to cast. My biggest skips will oftentimes come on the spoon. Beware though if white bass are in the area, LOL.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's ok, I'll grind them up and add a little flavor and use em for chum.....Or fillet em and soak em in a brine to add flavor...Does white bass make good cutbait????Thanks for the info....Dwight

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    White bass? Fillet them, soak them overnight in your favorite venison jerky marinade, and dry them, either in a smoker or in an electric oven at 140 or less. That's about as low as my electric oven will go; my gas oven won't go anywhere near that low.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks jtrew,

I have a bunch of spoons in the 1/32-1/8 oz range that I might try.....I bought em for crappie and never used em.....Dwight

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi