small shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by adam1886, Jun 15, 2008.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    if you are targeting bigger blues,10+ lbs, and all you can find is smaller shad ranging in size from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches, what is the best way to rig them on a hook? is it best to just use one shad per hook or 2 or 3 shad per hook to make it more of a bigger bait? the hooks we are using are 8/0 circle hooks.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You can put several on a hook and sometimes that'll work. Small shad don't stay on a hook too well and they're easy pickin's for those bait robbing channel cats...

The best advice I can give you is to learn to find the bigger shad. If you'll get a big net (7' radius at least) net with a 5/8" mesh and at least 1 lb of weight per radius foot and learn to throw it, your success rate will go up considerably. With a 5/8" mesh, most of the small shad will swim out and you won't have to deal with them. The heavier net sinks faster, bringing shad suspended farther down in the water column into your range and the large size lets you cover more water while searching.

Finding shad -- especially, finding them consistently -- is a long learning proces. You can't keep going back to the same place day after day and always expect to find them there; they move around just like all other fish. Keep an eye on your sonar and start to learn what shad look like, then save your arm strength to throw in areas that you've found and look more likely to produce shad.

If you can, use the time right at sunrise and sunset to find shad flipping on the surface. And then start to discern whether the shad flipping are big or small - you can tell a lot by the size of the splash.

Keep at it and you'll get better. It was just a few years ago when I thought a "big" shad was anything over 3". Those little things are just a pain in the butt to me now.

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd agre to try and find some bigger bait. Other than that, when I fish with threadfin shad which are small like the ones you are using, I usually put 3 to 4 on one hook, in certain times of the year it works as well as gizzard shad - mostly in the early springtime is when I notice a good rate using the 3 to 4 smaller baits on a single hook.

And yes, if you ain't throwing a big net with at least a 5/8 mesh, you ain't gonna catch big bait even if they are there. I use a 10 or 12 foot net with a 1 inch mesh. Or you can use a gill net if it's legal in your state - but the smaller nets with smaller meshes just don't sink fast enough to catch the big bad bait. Mr.T is dead on with that!

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    thanks guys. me and my dad are getting a little better at locating the bigger shad but somedays its down right tough for us to find them and take what we can find. pretty soon ill be getting a bigger net and hoping our success will go up finding the big ones.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    When all I have is small shad(it happens)I'll hook 3-4 of them thru 1 eye socket and out the other-stomp or slice 1 of them for the"juice"factor.
    Good luck

6. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    well i bought me an 8ft net tonight. pulled it out of the box and there is no possible way i think it will fold back in it :smile2:. now comes the fun part of watching youtube videos and tryin to figure this big thing out. the biggest i've ever thrown is 4 1/2 ft so it should be fun.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Boy Adam I cant wait to throw that thing and see what I can get it caugth on:smile2:. I bet you would be :angry: if I did.

Tom