Small shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gadzooks, Jul 14, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I fish out of a kayak and have tried, but can't throw a castnet from the kayak. So, I usually get my bait by casting at the place I launch or, especially to freshen my bait supply, will stop somewhere and cast from the bank. While I usually get plenty of shad, sometimes they are small, 1/2" to 1 1/2". Is it best to use the small shad whole, cut slits in the sides, or use as cut bait, though small? I've tried and can't keep them alive, no room for a big enough tank and aeration.

2. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Personally, I would fish them whole and alive and/or cut some slits, as you mentioned. Since, as you stated, the largest seem to be around an inch and a half. I would not see the need to cut them in chunks, since they are not more than a chunk as they are. However, as well as cutting slits in them. I would also open them up, from the anus, up to near the head and let the entrails hang out (if you are fishing them dead).

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I would leave them whole and match your hook size to them. then partially fillet the side just far enough to expose the gut pocket. I love about a 3 1/2 inch shad fished this way it is one of my favorite baits. Hope that helps.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

777 hit it on the head you can also cut the tail fin off just at the skin and hook fron the cut through the body and out of the eye.

5. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like them whole, they taste better that way, with a lot of salt, and pepper.lol

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    But what size hook do you like, with your mouth, will a 7/0 work?:smile2:

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the catfish agree with you.

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Now if you put some garlic on em, BOY they are some kinda good.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I like em live. Next I like em whole dead. I have learned to love them filleted. I like to scale em to keep the possibility of a scale stopping penetration of a circle. I like to slit em. I like to use the head. I never use the tail. If i used 1 1/2 inch ones i'd hang 3 of them on a hook... That way you could present them 3 different ways.

I LOVE SHAD!!!!!!!

10. Mudville

Mudville New Member

that's how i fish with shad. fillet the side and let the guts show. usually works good for me. if not that cut slits also mentioned. here it's illegal to cast bait nets, you can use pole nets but not casting ones.

11. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i agree with the fillet. i hook them through the fillet then through the head holding the gut pocket open. i use both live and fillet for a while to see whats going to work best for the trip.