Small Rivers - help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ozzyso44, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Does anyone have any tips on fishing smaller rivers during the cold months? I have not been doing any good.

I have been throwing small frozen shad, small frozen cut bluegill, shrimp, hotdogs and Wicked Sticky in the Platte River at Platte Falls CA. Nothing.

Thanks!

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Ozzy, are you using your electronic's?

3. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have a Fishmark 320, went out after work today until sundown, nada. It's not that deep of a river, but it's close and I have luck there in the summer, but nothing in the winter/cold.

My boat can't get out on the big rivers like some of the guys here. It could, but I might end up in Columbia. Then joer would have to take me to a Tigers game:smile2:!

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would look in the deepest holes you can find since that water is fairly shallow and gets cold. How big is your boat? I had a 14 foot Lowe jon with a 25hp Johnson that I took out on the Missouri all the time and never had a problem, had it on the Mississippi a few times also. If you've got enough motor to push it then I think you would be fine out there. Main thing is never anchor with the bow pointed anywhere but upstream and the rest is pretty simple. Chris

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Deep Holes on colder days. They will come shallow after a few warm days between fronts Use fresh liver cut bait or wire on minnows good fishing

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    OZZY give me a call 816-699-5762

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    :smile2::smile2: Scott anytime brother anytime!!!! We have several feeder creeks around here. The fish are there in the summer but migrate(if that's the right word) to deeper water like the bigger rivers. I went out on perche creek on wednesday to try out the new fish finder I only noticed fish at the mouth of the missouri and perche creek. They were in about 25ft. of water. The creek averaged 6-7ft. and never saw a single fish. Good luck to ya!!

8. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Ozzy down stream from the east boatramp at PF is normally really good. If you can get down around Tracy and P.C. you can find some really deep holes. By Rustys auto sales in Tracy the river makes a hard 90 and its 20 to 23 feet deep in that hole.

9. ljensen

ljensen New Member

State:
    mo
    Ozzy use shad guts and goose liver the bloodier the better, light line and weights channel cat will drive you crazy another good hole is down at Farley at the twin bridges channels and some nice blues in that hole

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Larry.

11. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Do you do much fishing on the Platte?

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish on the Gasconade some, the channle cats start moven up river in feb. We get em on cutbait in the deeper holes. As the other guys said find the deeper holes just up river from the Mo river. Also try a float rig they somtimes suspend in the deeper water. I caught some channles last year out of the gaaasconade that way next to a big bluff wall about2 miles up from the mouth of the Mo river.

Welcome to the BOC:smile2:

13. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Anyone heading out this weekend?

14. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    ill be out this weekend, i only have one question...... how do you guys rig up floats to suspend your bait in waters with current? mine always end up in a bush or downed tree or something.

15. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a smaller river around here that I bank fish from and this is the gameplan I use. I mainly look for anywhere that has a tall bluff bank on the outside bend of the river. This will be where your deepest holes are. I usually like to fish ones that have some submerged timber in them too, just makes em that much better.

Good Luck

16. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will use a Carolina Rig with a 3 oz no role weight above the barrel swivel, then attach a longer leader 18 t0 20 inches and put a small slip float on the leader between the hook and swivel.

17. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i went out last weekend and tried a new rig setup, well new to me anyway. i used a ballon rig, setup just like standard slip rig however the way i set it up was with a 4oz pyramid wieght, with the line run through the eye up to a 3 way swivel. on the top of the swivel i attached about 20 or so inches of line and tied a regular swivel to the end of that, this will be used to attach the balloon ( no fancy knots just clamp the swivel closed above the balloon's knot). the other open space on the 3 way will get your leader and hook. i used a 12 inch leader, plus about 8 or so inches of line and a gama octo size 7.
    this is by no means a new idea, and i was allways skeptical of it. but it works. i caught 5 5+pound channels last weekend on it, so far the only downfall is that it can be difficult to cast.
    when you get this rig out that wieght will head straight for the floor and the balloon will head straight for the surface (obviously) this will suspend your bait very well, and depending the length of line from the top of the 3 way to the balloon will determain how deep it is suspended.

18. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is good idea I have never seen that, but as long as it works.