Small river otter or muskrat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by s_man, Sep 9, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I was fishing with a buddy on the bank on the new riprap at riverside park in Z-ville last monday night. I had a five gallon bucket full of water and shad sittin at the edge. I happened to see something swimming near the bank, well it come up on the rocks, 'slithered' into my bucket and came back out with a shad in its mouth. I coulda swore that it had a white patch on its chest, but now I'm not entirely sure. The tail was at least as long as its body, but the creatures overall length was less than 2 ft I guess. So my question is do muskrat eat shad? Or did I see a young otter?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey S_man, from your description I would say it was a mink they eat fish. I don't think mushrats eat fish but I know mink and otter do. I bet it was a cool encounter. I wish I could watch it, I'd probably feed all my bait to it.

st

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree with my little Brother Greg.If you did see white,it could very well be a weasel.In water it is normally a Mink.On land it is normally a weasel.Both will hunt for and eat fish,crayfish,mice,birds,snakes and CHICKENS as will Otters.They all eat crabs and such around saltwater.I once watched a mink wander through our Distillation Plant one night years ago.I never saw it again,but the rats and mice disappeared for a while without any help from man.peewee-williams.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    It probably was a mink, muskrats don't eat fish.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would also say Mink. I see them all the time at a local lake. I have also seen muskrats and river otters at the river too.

6. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I would have to agree with the others on it being a mink. Muskrats dont eat fish and even a small beaver would have ate all your shad or at least up set the bucket. It would have been cool to watch though

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    In the place you was I would say it very well could have been a river otter. I have seen them at the dock down there several time while fishing at night.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I hadn't even considered a mink. But I've read about the river otter population up north and just figured one made its territory down here. It did look too big to be a muskrat. I saw it last week also but it stayed away from the boat and couldn't get a real good look.

9. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would believe it was a river otter.The population is large enoff that they have a trapping season in the winter. And they do eat fish.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ynup!, Mink and ermin will take your bait up here if left unattended for too long! Some type of weasle huh?

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    A MARTIN maybe? Have them up/over there? They'd do it!