small river fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oklahoma caveman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i an thinking of fishing a small river that is connecting a decent fishing lake and a larger river. can i expect to catch cats from the small river? what techniques should i use?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I would have to say the same techniques ya would use in any river. Consider structure,depth,drop offs,eddys and bends. Apply what ya know and the success will come I'm sure.:wink:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey welcome to the BOC and I fish some smaller rivers around here too, you should be able to catch ya some cats, if i was you when fishing a smaller river, I would probably use some chicken livers, night crawlers, and also use some cut baits, like blue gill etx, this should help yoiu catch some on your fishing trip.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i fish alot of small rivers and creeks and have caught 30lb fish out of them just use what you know and remember to fish next to structure it sur does help me

5. oklahoma caveman

State:
    oklahoma
    thx all. iv been catn all my life but mostly ponds and just bank fishin for small channel cat. im really wantin to learn how to catch some of these huge cats i keep sein pictures of tho

6. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    hey again fred if your talking about litlle river below millwood usally pretty good on channels and blues the ocasiaonal flat the biggest ive got is probly 10 or 12 but i have seen huge ones like in all these pictures caught on that river usally around the spillway i you just want eaters 3 to 8 lbs just pick a spot anywhere between dam and the red. on a good day you can fill the boat but on a bad day well maybe not.

7. oklahoma caveman

State:
    oklahoma
    i was in my other thread but im thinking of the stretch of rolling fork below dequeen dam. it looks fishy and its alot closer to home than millwood

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I think brushpiles are a major key in creek fishing. Also points where you have an abrupt change in the current or reverse current. A bait that struggles when injured is great and the more blood the better. There are usually holes were big cats lay underneath roots of mature trees on bank.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I fish a small river pretty often and use nightcrawlers around this time of the year. Cut bait seems to attract more turtles than anything so if I'm gonna use fish I make sure they're alive. If you haven't fished other rivers yet, make sure you have a sinker that will anchor your bait down. Depending on the current you may want to try different rigs that you can find in the library. Best of luck to you.

10. oklahoma caveman

State:
    oklahoma
    thx folks. gues now i just gota wait for the water to go back down and make it possible to fish

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Nightcrawlers or especially shad chunks around any brush piles or logs should produce well for you.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we fish a feeder creek in blanchard. i think it dumps into the canadian river eventually. there's a few holes there, but not a lot of snags. i fish it in the middle of the day, at the top of the holes and do real good with cut carp. we do catch a few softshell turtles, but not many compared to the numbers of channels we bring in. i use 6 pound line, a split shot or two, and a #2 circle hook. the fish are stacked in there thick enough that they run real aggressively when they take a bait, competition i guess. hope this helps.