Small river and Creek

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by ken_hawk, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    I live in Kansas and I fish the Little Arkansas River and West Emma Creek that converges into the river. My usual channel cat spot has been pretty much emptied out over the past three years after the people in my town saw me catching 10-20 fish a day in that spot. And this town only has about 2,000 people in it and this spot has gotton a lot of pressure over the past few years. The river itself isn't very deep (unless it rains alot), the deepest spot I have swam at was about 15 feet, and the creek is only about 6 feet at its deepest point that I have found. Also, I have no boat that is small enough to get about in the river or the creek. Should I try moving into another spot on the river, or should I make a move to the creek which has virtually no fishing pressure other than the limb lines i set near the bank?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    move around man. I have a spot like that on the miss. We would go out there and slam some huge channels everytime we went but then people saw what we were doing and I couldn't even get to my spot to fish.It was in MN , so we just had to movve never did as well but There has to be some other holes like your old one.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    in back when I was in during high school, my friend and I went catfishing on fox river in summer, the fox river are about 3ft to 12ft deep.. we have been caught 1 to 3 pound on nightcrawler. Someday we use chicken liver, it will work too but we have problem with population bullhead... we hate to catch bullhead on liver... but it's more easy to use nightcrawler for nice size channel.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had that problem on the small creek I fish here in central Indy. My favorite catfish spot was just on the edge of a camp and I used to have days of 10-15 catfish in the 1-5lb range, but that all stopped when some guy saw me one day and over the past 4 years, I haven't caught a catfish out of there. My best advice is try that small creek near you, and part of catfishing small creeks is to move around. If you don't get a bite within 30 minutes, pack it up and move. My best spots are usually where there is a bend in the creek and the depth ranges anywhere from 4-6ft. The best holes I've fished have also been very close to the bank in the bend. Fish the hole from the other bank and cast towards any sort of roots, logs, grass, or large rocks that are close to the bank. Early morning has been my absolute best time on my small creek. And don't use a lot of weight either, the less noise the better. I usually just go with a medium action spinning combo with 10-12lb test and just a 2/0 hook with 2 split shots as my only weight. I usually cast at the head of the hole and let it drift till it reaches the center of the whole and then eventually it will stick to the bottom. Baits of choice are 2-4" live creek chubs, bigger creek chubs cut up, nightcrawlers, crawdads, and helgramites.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try using livers or nightclawers for bait.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ken, im sorry to hear about your hole getting molested. well that didnt sound rite.lol i know how it is to have a good place ruined by others. but i would advise you to search around for another spot. i used the microsoft terra server to find new spots on my rivers. look for sharp bends(which usually mean a deeper hole) and creeks entering the river. narrower sections of river also offer deeper water as well as more current too. zoomed in you can even see some jambs and stuff! generally if its a hard place to get to its mostly untouched. and when you do find a good spot above all, keep it to yourself.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have seen some big cats come out of small water , I have also seen alot of people fishing for them that had no idea what they were doing . Find some other good spots by walking the bank if you can ,but don't give up on your honey hole , cats tend to move in and out of areas .

8. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Hey I live over at Newton and know the river and creek wich you talk about. Just wait tell the river comes back up a few times The cats will be back. I fish up stram over by Harvey west on the little ark and this happens all the time.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the good thing about those little spots is the rain restocks them! we have a spot over in oklahoma like that, and it always produces nice channels, a bunch of them!

10. Big Cat Dad

Big Cat Dad New Member

State:
    Montana
    Move around and explore. That is one of the fun parts of catfishing for me. What's around the next bend? You will have to work a little harder but it will be a lot more rewarding....plus if you find a place that's a little further away from the beaten path.....it won't get fished out.

11. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I fish a lot of small rivers and creeks around here and have some of my best fishing in the shallow creeks that are only about 5-6 ft deep. With channels up to 9 and 10 lbs.