Small reel on big rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jul 22, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use 8lb test on a 7 1/2 foot shakespeare downrigger rod because when im part time bassin i got to get the bait way outthere. the reel is a combo i got off a 6'6 ft rod that was rated for 6-15 pound line. i sometimes wonder if my reel is to small for the rod thats rated for 17-30 pound line.

never had problems with it but was just wondering wat yall might think

and yes i do sometimes bass :embarassed:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What you can afford and make work for you is what counts.I have seen coffee cans,coke bottles,beer cans and wooden hand reels out fish all of us folk with rods and reels.I felt admiration for these people while some others felt anger.I have seen Penn #9-309 used with 12-16 foot surf rods for specialized fishing by people who knew what they were doing and showed it by catching fish.A Penn #9 on a 12-16 ft.pole looks mighty small.The reel foot & the reel seat were often at odds and had to be jury rigged. I have and have used rods from 20 inches to 20 feet.I call it a rod if it comes with a reel seat,line guides and a tip.These rods are line rated from 1-6 pound up to 40-80 pound line rated.What I think is GREAT if you are happy.As for the bass fishing,"there is no excuse for admitting it!He,He.I don;t like to eat bass so I never fished for them.I fished for Chain Pickerel I released all bass unless I knew someone that I could give them to.I think Accuracy is far more important than distance in this type of fishing.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm with Pee Wee. The fish will let ya know when the reel is too small. Do what makes ya happy. But I've often noticed that when I have a question about what I'm doing.....sometimes it's like a premonition.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i got a hole that i bottem fish in and its almost 190 feet away (google earth ) and i got special anchovi setup i toss in their

works all the time

thanks yall for the time and effort in the advice, i appreciate it :big_smile::roll_eyes::smile2::wink::0a27::0a24:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i actually use a 9 ft rod i just wasnt paying attention and put 7

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The thing you would desire is to have a balanced outfit. The rod makers suggest the pound test line to be used on the rod, but nothing about the reel. All in all, that is just a suggestion. You have to fish the way you fish. If you don't break the line by chunking bait, you could probably step down to 6lb test line. You have to be the man, set the drag, and use your outfit appropriately.
    There is no such thing as a reel too small, unless it is in line capacity... otherwise, they are just fine, no matter what they are

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What is the make and model of your reel?What is the model number of your rod? I tried to look up a 17-30 lb.,9 ft.Shakespeare downrigger rod with no luck.That exact model may not be made any more.Downrigger rods have different action and power ratings as a rule and are usually more flexible and more of the length of the rod will flex.Two thirds of the length of a football field ain;t bad on a cast.The "flex" may be the ticket.Sounds like you are doing good.As for casting distance.There is the best and the worst.All the rest of us are in between.I use to cast up to 130 yards off the beach when everything was just right and God smiled down upon me.I now do 30 ft.on a good day when God smiles down upon me and I am proud to get that.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee