Small pool filter and pump?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by barboot1, Sep 15, 2008.

1. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Would a small pool pump and filter work to keep a chest freezer bait tank clean? I know I need aeration but I have a small pool pump handy and would like to use it if possible. Thanks
    Brian

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Are you talking about the stand up cartridge type? If so, I have 3 of them I'm working on to try and have 1 good working one. I'm gonna use one of them to see how It'll work only being run part time once every couple days. It'll be used in a 55 gallon barrel. I have a dual line fish tank aerator for oxygen. As it is I have to change the water about every 4-5 days so I'm thinking I could run that for a couple hours every couple days.:confused2:

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Brian I have used a pond pump and filter for 3 years, works fine. I use this in, a 200+ gal tank, I like for the pump to be rated for more than the tank size, gph.
    Jim

4. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks, I have a couple chest freezers I am going to use. The good thing about my set up is it will be on location where I do most of my river fishing. The landowner and I are going in together on this so we both can use it to keep our blue gills and other bait fish alive. SO when i need fresh bait I'll just mosey on over to the bait tank. Thanks again fellas:wink: