Small pond shallow water

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bradsc, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bradsc

bradsc New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    I have been nightfishing this small pond for a while and there are some big cats (ive lost a couple) in it ,my best was about 12 pounds but ive seen double that size come to the top . I typically use nightcrawlers on bottom ,but lost a huge one on a plastic worm with some bait scent on it . there is hardly no cover with 1 or 2 fallen pines in the pond ,it has a small creek running into it which is dried up right now . my question is what bait/presentation and best areas to pull in the big cats would be ,and also how reliable is the moon charts . im fishing in pelzer sc and it has been cooling of quit a bit at night does that effect them when its mid 80s in the day

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Since you're in a pond I'll assume you're catching channel cats. Here's what I'd do: I'd fish at night and fish when it was convenient regardless of the moon. I'd try several different baits at different depths to see if I could pattern what they preferred. I definitely would fish FRESH cutbait on a couple of rods

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Brad first of all welcome to the BOC. To try to answer some of your questions. Well we might need a little more info, like how big is the pond? For cats to get to the size you are describing there must be some sorce of food that they eat most all the time. Is there alot of bream, shiners , or some other bait fish that inhabits the pond? It seems like you don't have a problem getting them to bite just landing them. To target bigger fish go with bigger tackle. What are you using now?

4. bradsc

bradsc New Member

State:
    southcarolina

i have been using 10 lb line w the pond is about 1 acre but is about ten feet below normal level there is crappie, brim ,largemouths , grass carp i think its shiners i see around the banks when im fishing i try not to use to much light because its not my pond

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id catch some bluegill and try them in there...maybe even crawded. fish them near the bottom and see if that works

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Being that it is a small pond its a good bet that its channel cats that you are after and they will bite jusy about any thing. But the bigger fish will tend to hit larger baits. Try to catch a few small bream and shiners, use them for bait. To land the bigger fish maybe go with 20 lb line and a 4/0 or larger hook.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC brad. Try fishing with a small bluegill under a float. It maybe the the way to go only way to find out is try.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm a Liberty resident so I'm pretty close to ya. I suggest and bream/bluegill on a Carolina rig. I use a slip bobber a lot of times also, it a good way of finding the depth of underwater cover and finding the holes. I also would use a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. I imagine you are using smaller hook atm if your using crawlers. I usually find the holes and fish the shallows next to them. BTW have you ever fished Saluda over there? I've crossed that bridge many times and wondered many big ones are down there.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Brad, at this time of year I would start to fish the pond just after sundown, as the bigger fish usually move into the shallows once it starts getting dark. The best baits would be fish that live there in the pond: shiners/minnows, and bream (cut & live). Sometimes a wad of crawlers works well too! I would suggest that you use 20# line, and at least a 4/0 hook. When the little creek is flowing, fishing around there would be a good place to start, otherwise try around any type of structure and/or drop-offs.