small pond catfishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by stinkbaitman, Jun 18, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    ive got a small pond with a few pretty good sized channels in it. the pond is probably 100 feet long and 40 feet wide with max depth of about 15 feet. the problem is this thing is loaded with other species like bass and crappies and sunfish. whats the best bait for this situation if i dont want to catch non target fish?

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well i find that if im targeting catfish only i usually use dip baits and never have a problem with any other fish bothering my bait. Now, when i use live bait, i've pulled in things that were not expected.

3. Kmann

Kmann New Member

State:
    Crestwood, Kent
    Catch some of those non target blue gill and use them as cut bait

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with Kman,if bluegills and things like that in the pond then thats what id be using.Use whatever it is thats native to that body of water and you will be successful my friend.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Both are correct. Stink baits or dip baits will catch the cats without catching other species most of the time.

Catching some of the bluegills and using them as cut bait will work too although you might catch some of the bass with them also.

Another thing you might try is chicken livers. Blue gills will eat on the livers some but the cats will chase them away and eat the livers.

6. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catch some bleugill and cut em in chuncks...:wink: