Small outboard questions! need help!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Chief, May 3, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i finally got a motor for my boat. the trouble is i dont know anything about boat motors operation and safety. its an older 4hp mercury it has a remote 3 gallon tank. i think its water cooled. i need to know what kinda oil to use and to what ratio. and anything else you guys can tell me. like how to start it and everything...lol hasnt been ran in a few years but kept in excellent shape from what i see

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton if you will get me the serial number I can id the age and tell you the fuel mix fo it.
    Then we will go thru a series of things you need to do before cranking an outboard that has set for awhile.

There should be a data plate afixed to the transom bracket thet has the number on it.

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3766155 is the serial# thanks for helping me willard

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton I am haveing trouble running that number down in my books and on the web. Now is this a 1 cylinder or a 2 cylinder engine.

It sounds like the little merc. Knat they made back in the early 70s

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have no idea.it says merc 40

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Merc.parts site calls for 8 characters.You have 7.Are you missing one?peewee-williams

7. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    double checked it and thats all there is

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Finally found it in one of my older books and it is a 1974 if I am preceiving what I am reading.

When was the last time it was ran.
    The fuel mix would be 50:1 and you can use what I use and that is the tech oil for outboards and I get it from wal-mart.

as for safty don't start it while in gear and don't run it while it is out of the water and by all means never use starting fluied to get it going.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to put some oil down in those plug holes to oil the cylinder wall before trying to crank it. If the carbs were drained before it was stored then you might And I say might get away without a carb job but it aint that hard to do either.

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i think i was told it sat for over a year

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill