Small Mouth Bass - Where are the Big Fish?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by drpepper, Oct 18, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those things are alot of fun to pass time with while waiting for flathead bite time. I can sit and catch 20 or so 10-12 inchers in an hour!

BUT...

Where's the bigger guys at in shallow rivers? I'd like to find a group of 1 and 2 pounders like I did the smaller ones.:big_smile:​

Do the bigger ones school up like that? Man, I haul them baby smallies in left and right with a twister tail on a jig head.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    one of the rivers i flathead fish alot is well kbnown for big smallies. while anchored and fishing for cats at night i throw a big black buzzbait. last year i caught the 2 biggest smallies i've caught, 7#,and 6.5#, while doing this.
    chip

james825 003.jpg

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man I swear I've thought about that... a buzz or a popper.
    I'll be taking one along with me for now on.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I grew up in the midwest with a mariad of small streams and rivers loaded with smallmouth bass. From my experience, if you are finding small fish, there usually won't be a lot of BIG bass around, but you can catch a TON of that 10-12" size. If you get into the ones bigger than that you'll catch a couple usually, and they will be like most trophy fish, hanging around the thickest structure with access to a deep run. During the day I'd lure them with a roostertail spinner run along shallow edges, or if the waters deeper drifting a live chub 4-6" long can be DEADLY for bigguns! Oddly my personal best was a 22" long sweetheart that I caught on a roostertail, but it was out of the Mississippi river along the island wall in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Bill the big boys will be in the deeper holes now with structure around and a flat close by. i live about 100 yards from the river here and about two weeks ago i was fishing a small eddy for rock bass to use as flathead bait. i had already caught some creek chubs elsewhere and had them in the bucket with me. saw a nice walleye and it would not hit my crawler so i put on a small chub and he smeared it. he weighed 4 pounds. went back to catching rock bass and was rebaiting when i looked in the water up from me and thought man what a big sheephead that is. well it came out of the shadows and man what a huge smallmouth bass. i have caught many smallmouths in the 7 pound plus range out of lake erie and had one on that both i and the charter captain thought was the state record (unfortunately he threw the hook as he was going to net him) our state record smallie is 8 pounds 8 ounces and the fish which was now right in front of me was as big as the one i lost at erie maybe bigger. he would look at my crawler but would not take it, so i went for the chubs and as i was getting one out a boat came by and muddied up the water and i never saw him again. i was bummed out to say the least. but there were a lot of 1-4 pounders in that hole along with the rock bass. they always head to these places in the fall. the river i was fishing is the yough and is small also so deep water is a relative term here. the deepest part where i fish is only 11 feet and that is only in one stretch about 20 -25 yards long the rest is only around 6- 8 feet with the rest being shallow runs and riffles. find the deeper holes now and use some big shiners and or chubs and you are in brother. crayfish are good to if you can get them but creek chubs are the ticket. by the way i would have gone back to that hole but i dislocated my knee at work and can't make it to that spot now or i would have for sure been after that fish till i got him. oh well maybe next year. good luck brother.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Brian, that sounds the area where I've been picking my smallies up at.
    With a hole etc. like you described. But I've been fishing a shallows riff near tree jams. I discovered the bigger ones seem to come out to play around 5:30-6:00 pm

I did manage a couple really nice ones!
    Weather pemitting, I'll try your suggestion on Monday in the deep hole there and let you know what happens! Thanks bro!

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Bill i was just looking at your spot on the other thread and i would venture a good guess that the biggest smallies in that whole stretch are in the deeper holes there. thats a sweet spot not only for cats but everything else as well. guaranteed the bait fish are there so thats where the smallies will be. another good thing to try is a heddon baby torpedo. try it in black, white, or my favorite the clear one. or a gitzit on a darter head my best color is white on the bottom/silver on top with silver flake in it, or all white. i would go with the chubs or shiners first then try these. if you can find a doble buzzbait called a heartbeater it will also pull the big smallies out of there but use a trailer hook for best results. good luck brother and let me know how you do. those smallies should be fattening up for winter so you should pound them pretty good.