Small Motors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Katmandeux, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just ordered a 12' Lund semi-vee, and I've got a few weeks to motor shop.

I'll be buying a 9.9 from someone, and I thought I'd ask what you guys like in small motors.

2. rgrshadow

rgrshadow New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 15 HP Nissan 4-Stroke and I like it very well. Happy Hunting.

rgrshadow

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    AIn the 9.9 HP range the two stroke is a good weight o power engine. Small two strokes in Mercury, Tohatsu, Nissan are all the same engine up to 40 HP. They are rock solid and run great. However these engines are no longer imported and are hard to find new.
    Small two stroke Yamahas are always a good buy if you can find one. AK McCallums in Fayetteville NC carries two stroke 9.9 HP Yamahas in stock for around $2100.00.
    9.8 four strokes in the Tohatsu line up only weigh a few extra pounds and AK's has them for about the same price. 9.9 Hp Hondas are 30 lbs heavier and will cost you a lot more but are good running engines.

If I was repowering a small boat in the 9.9 Hp range and had to purchase a new engine I would make the drive to Fayettevile and come away with a brand new 2 stroke Yamaha.

JMHO

YMMV

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have a 9.9 Merc 4stroke and love it. I have never had one problem with it and I can let it sit for months and not worry about going to the river. Yes it is heavier but it is worth it.

To give you a idea.......I have a 1548 mod v Alumacraft, a buddy has a 12 ful bull nosed jon with a early 80s 9.9 johnson. I can leave him in the dust (or water).

Just my two cents.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    From what I understand the small Mercury you love so much, is , in reality a Tohatsu Four stroke with Black Mercury paint and decals. Tohatsu engines are one of the most popular and dependable engines sold in the world. They are only slightly heavier than their two stroke counterparts and are much easier to care for as far as fuel, mixing ect.
    For what it is worth small and medium two strokes are on their way out. Yamahas are the only ones I can find in stock anywhere except for the odd left over Mercury.

6. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i dont know what hp ranges the evinrude e-tech makes but you wont find a better engine my buddy has a 60hp e-tech and the specs on that is a little over 60hp at the prop it gets great gas mileage and has better emissions than a 4 stroke that eng runs awesome when i get my next boat it will have one on it

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I am looking for a boat and motor myself And From what I hear on the BOC its GOT TO BE A 4S thanks Bro for you input :big_smile:

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Dave
    Bought a used outfit last year 14 ft semi-v hull 6hp mercury. Told the dealer I wanted a bigger engine, and we agreed when he got in some thing bigger would swap. I fish only on relatively small lakes. The largest 13,000 acres, usually 2,000A and smaller. I was told the 6hp is basically the 9.9hp block just detuned I find it sure gets me where I want to go as fast as I want. Well after a season on the lake you couldnÂ’t pry the little motor out of my hands. Trolls like a angel, and gas mileage, never seems to run out on the 6 gal tank. Gas is once again $2.50 gal and rising. I imagine like last year it will be over #3.00 a gal by summer. If you are going new maybe 4 stroke is the only thing available. I fish mostly alone, or with one other aboard and find I am adding enough junk to set lower in the water, weight of the motor sure counts with me. I can lift off the two stroke motor and place it inside any time I want by myself, and I am no spring chicken. Just some thoughts. Luck

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    About 7 years ago I bought an old camper and when I got it home I had to clean it out because it was full of junk.When I got to the back of the trailer I found a new 5hp Iska outboard.They had stopped making Iska's maybe 20-25 years before I got it and parts would be hard to find but I don't worry about that because it's a new motor and runs great.I run it on an old heavy 1969 14ft simi V and I've had it 15 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.I know it don't burn much gas cause I only carryed 2 1/2 gal. with me and had atleast a gal. left when I got back to the ramp.It may be small,aircooled,with no shifter(it cranks in gear and you have to turn the motor around to go in revrse) and outdated but will crank on the 3rd pull cold even when it's 12deg.and is the best little OB I ever had.

10. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i just bought a 14 ft jonboat last year. anyways, before this boat i had a 12 ft duracraft made in 1959. anyways, i was given a 9hp seaking and was in storage for 25 years. it runs good and it does the job for the boat. i like older motors in some ways because they don't make things like they used to anymore, but then, there is maintenance. there's negative and positive points. you might get lucky finding a good, old motor, dunno. but reading what others say about the new motors, sounds like a few good options, as well, also need to know what is the max size motor allowed. anyways, congrats on new boat and good luck on motor.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just bought 9.8 Nissan...the decision was driven by weight, noise, and environmental considerations, not price, even though it turned out to be the least expensive of the class ($1900). It can be purchased for even less from Cabela's, if a person doesn't mind buying a motor that way.

What surprised me was the variation in weights and engine sizes among the "nines". The lightest was the Yamaha 2 stroke, at 79#, followed closely by Nissan/Merc?Tohatsu @81.5#. From there, the jumps are much larger...Honda/92#, Suzuki/97#, and Yamaha 4 stroke/99#. The variation in displacement is huge: Nissan/209cc, Honda/222cc, Suzy/302cc, and Yammer four/323cc!

One very tempting alternative turned out to be a Yamaha 2 stroke 8hp, which only weighs about 60#...it was my second choice, but I wanted to retain the option to use my motor on larger boats, should the need arise.

After handling this motor at 82#, I'm glad I made the choice I did. Ima bigga boy, and can handle the weight easily enough, but it's all I want to attempt on a steep riverbank.

Thanks to all of you for your input...much appreciated!:smile2: