small game with a bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i am interseted in hunting squrriels with my bow. any tips to make it easier?

2. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Practice . . .practice. . . practice. . . if I forgot to mention . . .practice!

I have hunted them from tree stands while deer hunting. I keep a couple "used" arrows in my quiver just for this purpose. Since I am using broadheads I only shoot at the ones on the ground only and have not lost any broadheads to them. I average one out of two or three shots.

Good luck! They are tough to hit targets.

P.s. Where in va? That's where I started deer/squirrel hunting.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    There's a broadhead on the market that came out not too long ago for turkey hunting. I beleive it's called the gillitine. It opens up real wide and takes a turkey's head off. I'm guessing this could be used on squirrels giving you a more margin of error. I also carry extra practice arrows with field tips for shooting squirrels. They stay on the move, so practice shooting fast. One more suggestion would be using the brightest fletching you can find, making it easier to find your arrows, maybe even the glo noks, if that's spelled right.

4. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the best tip I can give is let them get in close and be prepared to lose some arrows(if your hunting from the ground). I live in a town where I cant really shoot squirrels with a 22 or shotgun so i shoot them with my bow. so far this year i have gotten 3 with my bow, 2 of them at 10 yards and the other at 20. last year I also got a rabbit with my bow. I shot and thaught i missed and it took 2 hops and flopped over. I shoot them with 125 grain target points.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    mr. fairbanks, im in isle of wight county.

thanks for the ideas. i knew i would need to practice A LOT:cool2: . i was looking on bass pro shops website and they had small game arrow heads. they were really wide and flat. any experience with these?

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The flat points kill by shock of impact and work pretty well. Judo points are real good and prevent arrow loss.

7. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I've not had any experience except with my broadheads that I use for deer. I did most of my deer/squirrel hunting in King George county but I do know a little about your area from when I was stationed in Norfolk. Good luck!

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Cheap arrows so you dont cry like I do when I loose one of my carbon express arrows and a steady aim.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use a G5 small game head. It has a blunt point in the center to shock them and three claw like prongs that cut into the game. I keep a couple in my quiver while deer hunting and take a half dozen or so squirrels each season with them. They really help your confidence when you can take a squirrel at 15 yards. That's about the max range I'll shoot for squirrels. I also don't lose any arrows when shooting at this range while sitting up in the stand.