small float on leader when fishing on bottom?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rocco641, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering if anybody ever puts a small float on their leader when fishing bottom? to keep the bait hovering just off the bottom?:confused2:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good question.. are you wantin to learn more on drifting?? I could use some help myself on that subject.:tounge_out:

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Occasionally yes I'll put a lil snap on float to get the bait up off the bottom..

4. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I believe that would work fine but in my opinion a three way swivel rig works great. Tie one end of swivel to your main line from your reel, tie other end to 4 feet or so of line then to a sinker and the last end of swivel tie 4 or 5 inches of line with your hook and bait. Hopefully you can picture this, hard to describe.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use that technique too mainly in heavy current..The float technique I use when there's little current..

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yes i use a small float alot the last couple of years to hold the bait up when im fishing no current . I feel it helps to keep the bait off the bottom and out of the mud . so the fish can strike at it much easier .

ive done this in winter pattern ,, shallow water pattern ,, and drfiting .

7. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I guess there are two ways to rig a three way. Ill post pics of how I always did it.

Attached Files:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I do it fairly often when I,m fishing lakes.I thread the cheap 3/4 inch styrofoam ball you can buy at the craft store on my leader.:wink:

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I used to use the 3 way rig religiously but after trying some sinker sliders and carolina rigging I moved to those because I noticed the fish would sometimes drop the bait when they would feel the pressure from the weight, on bigger fish it didn't matter most of the time but the other I couldn't tell the size obviously cuz I didn't catch em:smile2:, I only use the 3 way sacrificial rig when I'm fishing real rocky areas where my weight gets snagged a lot.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have experimented with a small cigar float pinned 6 inches above my bait on a carolina rig. I gave it up because my hook ups didn't change after several trips. However, i believe it would work well in a lake. I fish in rivers and the added bouyancy of the float forced me to put at least another ounce of lead on to hold bottom.

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome idea gonna have to read more on this an find some illustrations to see just how it works. Sounds like a great plan. Thanks for the post!

12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  13. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    That is acutally an excellent idea, because I've noticed that flats don sit directly on the bottom when feeding, they're about 4-6 inches off the bottom during feeding. I've always wondered a way to get my bait to stay off the bottom that far, and the bobber/float idea sounds like it could do the job! Thanks man ill have to try it!

14. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Been trying it for about the last month or so. Troy turned me onto this idea but haven't seen any increase on strikes. Seems about even but i haven't tried it on a Carolina rig.

I fish mostly a 3 way rig as I like to keep my big bait up off the bottom or the crabs will have a field day with it and that doesn't always help. Sometime it sucks living this close to the gulf. You wouldn't think crabs would be a problem 50 miles from the cost but they are. But it is great when the Red fish are running:big_smile:

15. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I did try this, and didn't get any hits. Of course nothing I was doing (last night trip) was working anyway.

The reason I use the Carolina rig and the type of weights I do is because the river I fish is almost ALL rock. This seems to be the best way of not mortgaging the house for sinkers! :big_smile:

The way I tie the hook is to tie a snell with a really long tag end in the line. That end gets the float, otherwise the rig is just a normal Carolina rig.

I would suppose that what you use for the float could be your own preference. Anything with enough buoyancy to keep the hook off the bottom would work.

16. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    My main setup is for drifting and I use the medium cigar floats on the leader. I use the slinky weights, 1-1 1/2 oz attached to the swivel on the main line. Then I snap the swivel for the leader to the top ring on the main line. This lets the bait float off the bottom, I have a lot less hangups with this.

17. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This is how i do it. Give it a shot.

Attached Files:

18. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like that idea, thanks!

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I do it but only when I need it. If the bottom is pretty clear I have no need for it. Slight current can tangle it or even tangle while retrieving.

Also I noticed that the Carolina rig picks don't show some sort of stopper ( split shot, something ) behind the egg sinker. Without one, the rig will float up and not stop.

If I'm drifting I use slinkys with out a stopper, pulling keeps it tight.

It can work very well in deep enough water.

20. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    haha yeah i got lazy and didnt draw the barrel swivels in... good call. I only use this rig in very minimal current