Small Flathead catfish- 3-10 pound range..

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Philiagorillia, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys, i've been being skunked by flatheads in some of the local lakes around here, most that are only about 3-10lbs that i have seen. Im not sure what these guys are using to catch them outta these small lakes. I'd like to pick your minds and see what kinda baits and methods i can try to use so i can get me some of these smaller flats outta these lakes. Im just stumped...

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Flats quit biting when the water temp gets down into the low 50's. Not very often you will find them feed heavy after that point. Blues on the other hand....well, lets just say it's trophy season.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    GO TO Q/A FLATHEADS 1 AND 2..

ALSO Bank fishing a lake// flatheads.

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Awsome, i'll have to read up on those!

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Crawdads are excellent bait for the eater flatheads.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Cutbait too!

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nightcrawlers are good for eater shovelheads

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Cut shad w/ a little garlic dip. :wink:

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Little bitty 2" perch, chubs, or shiners along the edges on a unseasonably warming trend...maybe a day, or two, or three in a row during winter will produce flats.

The flats at this time of year are supposed to be dormant...but a sudden warming will bring them out in search of smaller offerings than they normally would in warmer water...IE: easily digestable meals

Pay attention to the weeks weather forecast...and try to obtain live bait beforehand...so you'll be ready to go and not have to muck around with finding bait when you should be fishing.

Keep in mind also...target exposed cover if possible...especially wood.

Log jams...standing timber...flooded timber...docks...especially consider docks that have utilized sunken cover for crappie...as they tend to hold baitfish year round.

There is a correlation between crappie and flatheads tending to share the same lairs...but that in itself is a whole other thread.

If there is a warm water discharge...pay close attention to that area...a whole potpourri of predator species...including catfish...use those discharges to easily locate shad, perch, shiners, chubs, soft shelled crawfish...and whatever else they can manage or want to eat.