small cuts big blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Sep 6, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    will small cuts get you just as many blues as smaller cuts, i got a ten lb off a small cut

2. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I personally use large peices for bigger cats, culls out the little ones. I try to use peices no smaller than the palm of my hand or bigger. Of course I use 10/0 to 8/0 kahle hook size...

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i was missing alot of bites on bigger baits, so i downsized, still my rod would rock but they wouldent self hook, small blues prolly

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Most of the time, I stick to larger baits, but there are times when the fish are nit-pickin and want something smaller. Last week was one of those nights where they would just pick at it for up to 10 minutes before taking the bait, and 5-6 inch chubs were the ones catching all the fish. Bigger bait never got a hit. Weather was cooler than average, mighta had something to do with it. But even then, I still had one out of four poles rigged with big bait, just to cover the bases.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Sometimes they like whole bait, sometimes cuts, sometimes even down to fillets. i'll usually start out with a number of different sizes and see what is getting the most action, then adjust accordingly.