small creek leading to river is flooded

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jesseray, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have a small creek leading to the river by me and its usually dry or just has about a foot or 2 of water in it but now its been flooded for a while and we do have a little luck when the river is up there but i was just wondering if it would be worth the hassle to go nightfishing there,its probly about 8-10 foot deep right now. also do you think i should fish at the mouth of it or back in it farther away from the mouth of the river?

2. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    my experience. when you have a river or lake at low to normal stage and a small creek running into it, it will be muddy and it will move alot of prey with it. iv always had good luck fishing at the mouth, where it enters the larger stream. not just for catfish either, although that is generally what i fish for in that circumstance.

but as you say it has been runnin at flood stage for an extended period of time. i would check and see if the water is falling, if it is i would fish the main river, if it is stabilized or rising then i would try to fish up into the creek itself

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    fish the mouth of the creek and about 100yds above that i always seem to catch cats out of that area

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think trying up the creek a ways while it's flooded is a good idea. I've fished flood plains before when the water has been flooding on the main river and done well so I'm sure it could be the same situation for a flooded feeder creek. Catfish can be adventurous and they will follow the baitfish.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would fish any where from the first low spot up the creek to downstream the main river 1-2 hundred yards. Any where the muddy water was.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey sounds like a good place to fish I know they have some places like that around here and most of my fish that I have caught has been in the mouth of the water leading into the river.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    makes sense to me i have fished whwere holes creek went into the gmr and slew the channal catfish in that area go for it rick