Small Clicker Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by robbor, Feb 7, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Any recomendation for small clicker reels?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ammbassadeur makes some small reels with a bait alarm as well as Shimano.

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I just went and looked at shimano and the smallest I found as their 400 series and thats larger than i want. Id like something for 10# test to fish crawdads on with no weight. I dont need or want huge line capacity like the 400 would provide. More along the linds of a low profile Bass baitcaster with decent line cap and a clicker.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a 5600C4 Abu with a clicker, but don't know if this year's model has the clicker. It would do what you want, so you may want to look around. Mine is a 2005 model, I believe.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The smallest I know of is the Abu 5600C4 LE, as Jerry mentioned. This is a violet / purple colored reel, and they seem to be as rare as hens teeth in the 5600 size. We have a local tackle shop that stocks them ($80), other than that I’ve seen them on Ebay, and on some Australian tackle sites.

I suspect you are looking for something even smaller. There may be one out there, but I haven’t found it. If you do order the 5600, verify that it’s the 5600C4 LE and that it does have the clicker, as most 5600C4’s do not have the clicker, and Abu has so many models that it creates some confusion.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe all the abu reels are just about the same size. Possibly only major difference would be in the width of the spool. Any 5000C should have the bait alarm, and its about the smallest abu I know of. Possibly what your wanting to do is to use a spinning reel... thought I read a post on here once where one of the brothers rigged up an alarm system for a spinning reel. Maybe one of the brothers remember the post...

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Speaking from personal experience, and friendly feedback, it's not the size of the clicker, it's how you use it......
    :wink:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The 5600 C3, is a good choice.

9. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I was not really looking for a round reel but oh well. I believe I have an abu 5000 or 5600 so Il check it out and see if maybe I can just add the cliker parts. anybody have any recomendations for bait alarms for sp9inning reels that are very low tension.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You need to check out some carp fishing sites. Those guys have all sorts of alarms. Especially good are the English sites.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Go to hookless.com . Jerry builds brand new ambassadeur reels from scratch. These are the older double knob style reel. The cool part is you can get any size you want with a clicker, even a 4500 model. He will also build them to order so if you want bushings or bearings, just let him know. He's also got some really cool looking reels that have different color sideplates.

From what I've read on his warranty, it's a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser, and includes yearly cleaning and service. Check with him to be sure. The reels are pricey though, around 180 bucks, but they're beautiful reels.