Small claims advise

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Hoopie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On Dec.26 2008 a couple young guys broke into my garage stole mine and my sons crossbows. I know who these guys are. I did recover mine,BUT my sons is still mising. Do I have a valid claim in small claims court? I do have a recording of them calling my house admitting to selling them. They want me to quit chasing them, you see I'm 6'7 about 295 I don't run as fast as these little fellas. Putting a beat down on them don't do me any justice. I would just like the crossbow back.So my question is do I have a valid claim in small claims court? The bow was a Horton summit hd around 350 to replace that is with arrow and broad heads.What would you guys suggest?

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I would say you have a valid claim. Small claims is'nt like criminal court. Having the recording should be proof enough on top of retreiving the one bow. Had to go to small claims once when someone stole our calling card and ran my bill up $1500.00. Dummies were calling people from their own house giving other people the calling card number and having them call em' back at their own house. Guess they were'nt the brightest crayons in the box. I wish you the best of luck brother...

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Threaten to take the recording to the police if they don't give it back. They could be looking at worse problems than just small claims court. Besides if you win all you get is the judgement ordering them to pay you. It doesn't make them pay you!:wink:

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Did you report the burglary when it happened? How young are we talking about? If they're adults, I think you would be better off pursuing criminal charges. There's no telling how many times they have done something like this. Taking them to small claims court is going to be the easy way out for them. A part of a "deal", criminally, can include restitution.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Old School Justice!!!!!!!!:wink:

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Small claims may help if they are adults. I won 1800.00 judgement once and he refused to pay. I filed a lean on his car and had it sold at a sherriffs sale for 500.00. Fool went and bought another car and when i sent the sherriff for it he paid me. If they are juvaniles forgt it.

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    In my opinion, small claims against the parents if they're juveniles. But if they're an adult, they're old enough to know better, they need to have a conviction on their record.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Take the recording to the State Attorney's Office and tell him you want to press charges against them .... Garry-

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys..... they are brothers 19 and 20 years old. I did file a police report but the detective is saying everything is hear say......I live in a small town, when this happened I started spreading the word......I has a guy call me that bought one and gave it back to me thats how I found out who they were and where they went. The third brother is the one who showed me who they were because he was afraid I was going to thump him.I think tomorrow I will contact the prosecuting attorney.The sad thing is I found out they tried to sell them at a couple different places but no one will file a statement with the police.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    So when they get the crap beaten out of them just say it was hear say :smile2::tounge_out:

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL.....it were that easy to enforce street justice without any penalty against the enforcer(assault charge) there would be less crime I gaurantee that!

12. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF YOU PUT EAR MUFFS ON THEM THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF THEM . THATS EAR SAY.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

FIND SOMEONE THAT THEY DON'T KNOW AND THEN SEND THEM A HUGE CAN OF WIP ARSS. WHILE YOUR HAVEING COFFEE WITH THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCMENT, THATS A GOOD ALIBI.:wink::wink::cool2:

13. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just make sure it doesn't end up as a featured story on Dateline....:eek:oooh: