Small Channel Catfish for Flathead Catfish Bait???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishjohn, Aug 7, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Any of you all have luck using Channel Cats to catch Flatheads? Me and Mankind have caught over 2 dozen to take with us to the Ohio River for bait tonight. They range from 6"-12". I know Bullheads are great bait so what about the small Channels?:confused2:
    I've used them before but smaller, had some luck but no hogs.
    Whats your opinions???:confused2:

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Great question John! I am very interested in the responses because there is never a shortage of dink channel cats around here. It would be nice to be able to go out flathead fishing and all ya got to do is just bring a small setup and a tub of stinkbait and get all the bait ya need.

3. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea they work great were i live i like them about 5 inches

4. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    they work really good and the best part about using bull heads or channels is they usaually dont get turtle problems ......RAT

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Cool, I was hoping to hear good things.:wink::cool2:

Another question,,,Do you all clip the side fins to make them easier to be eaten and give them the injured fish look???

6. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i usually cut the dorsal fins off but not the side ones.......RAT

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah....they make good flathead baits. I usually clip the side fins and dorsal fins about half way off. Works well. Good Luck!:big_smile:

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Great bait, where legal. GOOD LUCK!

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I wouldn't know, they are illegal here... but someone I know who fishes at the same times as me in the same spots as me says he has a GREAT response from the flatties.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well channels may catch some monsters.. but personally their in the cat family too and id let em grow just IMO. Save the channels & use bullheads!:smile2::wink:

11. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    i would try using bullheads for bait

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Big Flatheads could care less about getting stuck with something so they are used to the fins right off the bat:big_smile:,,But trimming the top and 2 side spikes off will produce a flow of blood scent and cause the bait to wiggle/thrash around a little more, and that = more attention and that = More Flatheads looking at your bait..IMHO..Good Luck and tight lines to both of you..:wink:

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Man I am pumped up! Can't wait to try them out! But, being as lazy as I am, I will just ask here instead of looking it up - Is it legal in Illinois to use them?

14. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Illinois fishing information digest is a little vague on it. It states that there are no regulations forbidding using bluegill or sunfish as bait for other fish. It also says that it is illegal to be in possession on state waters of any cut or dressed fish for which there is a daily creel or size limit. Later, it states that there is no creel or size limit for channel cats.

One might assume this means it's ok to use channel cats as bait, but I couldn't find any verbage that states that specifically.

You can read more here: http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/09Digest.pdf

15. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When using a bullhead or channel cat as bait, do folks usually hook them through the lip and nose?

16. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    no hook them in between there back and tail....RAT