small channel catfish for flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by adamj, Jan 15, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Anybody use small channels as bait for flatheads?
    What kind of succes did you have vs. bluegill or other common bait?

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use channel cat filets at my local lake and hand down the better bait for flatheads and blues too

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have actually used small channels for bait with minimal success compared to Bluegills. The few times I used small channels I kept them in the livewell just in case I ran out of other bait.

Now bullheads are another story. They are awesome Flathead bait.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree.. I have not had the success that I have had on bullheads for some reason. rollo

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used them with moderate success(considering I've only used them a couple times)Had a run and it dropped it and caught a 15 lber.But I think gills work well for all sizes of flatheads.I've caught 3 lb flatheads on 8 inch bluegill.And I've caught alot bigger flatheads on smaller gills too.I think channels die on the hook a lot quicker than Bullheads.5-10 inch bullhead is excellent river flathead bait.Come onnnnnnnnnnnn spring

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My opinion on the whole bait situation is, I WANT IT TO BE LIVELY!!! I think big, small, medium ,large... isn't the issue when flatheads are moving to feed. But, you have to have baits that are gonna draw attention to them whether it be sound or smell. They have an instinctive way of detecting injured fish, or a stressed out fish that can't get away. They will zone in to find these fish. I have probably seen more big flatheads puke up crawfish than anything else, but that tells me they move to where crawfish live... The shallower rock riffles often to feed. Place baits around feeding zones, and allow them the opportunity, and time to pin point on them, and you will catch flatheads!:wink: Goodluck to you all... rollo

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Small channels, are in my opinion equal to a bullhead, just lighter in color. They are highly interchangeable as baits. Like Rollo says, you need a lively bait. Something that will fight and squirm while anchored in front of a big snag. Channels you catch from the waters you fish will fight harder on a hook than any store bought goldfish you toss out because they have been afraid of being eaten their whole lives. They will struggle all night to get away. Until they bit.

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I saw on another thread that people where making traps for bullheads & using them for catfish.

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That trap is not legal in ohio,unless the opening is 1 x1 inch :sad2:

10. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think most live fish swimmin in a river is fair game to a 40 lb flathead.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    bluegill and creek chubs is what i have luck with the most bluegill sunfish are easy to get i have caught some bullheads and suckers out of the little creek i fish for the gills but bluegill by far is my choice bait

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA

I agree with you. For some reason I just have not had the same success. They are certainly lively on the hook!

13. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like those too.But its hard to catch them as big as I want them

14. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I have used them a few times but with no luck. I know that they will catch flats. I'm just thinking that flatheads will eat anything they can get but show a preference for certain prey items. This might vary alot between certain waters like rivers vs. lakes etc.

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Never tried channels for bait yet. I usually prefer rock bass, then bluegills. I like the lively action I get from the rock bass. They seem to fight more on the hook, and I've had em' stay alive all night. I've even reused a few the next day...