Small Catfish for Big flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 18, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Anybody out there use baby cats of any kind for big flat bait. I use just about any kind- yellow, blue, channel they are usually small and some have clipped fins and soem don't. Whats yalls opinions on using them for flatheads and what do you like better clipped or non clipped and why?

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    flatheaddundee,

Some people like to use bullheads for bait. I myself have never tried it. Lots of people on here do though.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not here, in CA its ticket time for using a cat for bait, its a game fish here, i think ya mite b able to use a bullhead

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, I use 6-8" bulllheads and channel cats. Yellow cats love fiddler cats. Just ask any commercial fisherman, lots of times they will be eating a smaller cat while they are running there lines and they get off. Great bait.

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    bullheads make good bait,I like to clip the fins off, and rig them so they cant get in soft mud they will, will work them selfs down in the mud. like all other baits, they work better at times than others.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard of people using bullheads for bait, to catch flatheads.

7. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    with fins clipped, for flatheads this spring, and had a 26" walleye take it almost all the way down its throat.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I tried using about a 8" channel 2 weeks ago for flats but I guess either the water was too cold or I wasnt near any flatties. I will try it again though.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A rule of thumb is that if you use crawfish for bait...you'll catch mainly channel, some blues, and a flathead here and there. If you use perch...you'll catch mainly blues or flathead, but fewer channel. If you use shad...there's no telling what you'll catch...everything eats shad. If you use bullhead...you'll catch mostly flathead. As a matter of fact I have never caught anything but flathead when using bullhead. I have never used channel...but I would in a pinch...same goes with bass, or trout. I don't with walleye because they taste so good that I'd just as soon fillet them as use them for bait.
    Congrats on the 26" walleye Ol' Whiskers...thats a good one. I got a 9 lb eye last spring while fishing for whitebass...didn't measure it...but it was a chunk...not so long as it was fat.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I heard of Bullies being used as well. Seems like a good idea to weed out other fish and target specifically the flatheads.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Bullheads are diffently great flathead bait, I've never done it before because I've never got a flathead. Because the only ones around here are like 2 hours away and you have to have the right kind of boat to get to them.

But reason I say bullheads are great flathead bait is because thats what I've read in alot of respected fishing magazines, and articles, etc. They say that "madtoms" are the best, and they are some kind of bullhead.......I believe. And I've talked to some "flathead pros" on other forums and they told me how good they were. I've got a in-fisherman catfish video that shows them using bullheads for bait. But there is a spefic way your supposed to hook them when using them for bait. It's somewhere around the tail section, I believe. I'll see if I can find a picture on the internet, that shows how to hook them. And like stated above in one of the post, certain things work best at certain times. :)

And also like stated above its good to use them because it helps balance the species out a little bit. Because alot times, everyone throws back the bullheads and alot of people keep the flatheads. Thats not good, for example around here everyone throws back the bullheads and keeps the channels and blues. Now you catch alot more bullheads than channels and blues.

good luck :)

12. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Anyone know a good method for cathing bullheads? Some kind of trap you can set perhaps? I've always wanted to use them and have heard plenty of praise for flathead bait. I think they would be easiest to catch in early spring while in spawning mode...I had a friend who would get them from the "bait truck" when it delivered to the local bait shop, he would pay the guy something like a dollar a piece if he bought more than fifty at a time.

13. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I read about a guy pulling out a 70+ pound blue cat out of the Kansas River near Lawrence using a catfish for bait, don't know what size or the species though.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I'll generally use an ultralite with 4 lb test rigged with a tiny #8 gamakatsu circle hook baited with a small piece of nightcrawler. The little bitty circle hook helps you from guthooking because as with all circles...they hook most times in the corner of the mouth. It's not hard to find bullhead around here. Most any creek, cow pond, or mudhole is holding them. I have used a seine in the past and a cast net also with success. A perch trap would work with the proper chum to attract them.

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bullheads and Channels are much better live baits then Gills, Bass , Crappies and the like. They withstand much higher water temps and still stay lively.
    I like them up to about 12 inches and would like bigger but they are to big fer me to cast well on a 10ft, 2-8 oz rod. Put them on a 3-way with a bobber above them just outta reach and watch them dance for hours tryin to get back to the bottom callin them Tabbies in.

"Join in the pursuit"!
    <><Baitkiller><>

16. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a friend who only uses bullheads about 6-7 inches long and he catches alot of flathead on them. They are extremely lively and resilient. He hooks them through the nostrils with a 6/0 circle hook. He goes to ponds to catch his bullheads. :)

17. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i usually use chubs with small slits on their sides (more scent). :cool:

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i imagine they'll even eat thir own kind. have used small channel cats up to 1.5 lbs and have caught flats. their really hard to keep alive though unless you place them in or near current. thay also drive you crazy with the clickers, even after you trim their tails and tighten your brake. bullheads are better, channels die too easy but will work when your desperate for bait.

19. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

my biggest cat to date was a blue caught on a 10"channel cat....8/0 gami circle thru the bottom lip and out the top....tail cut off...it was alive for an hour before being eaten.....we had to beach the john boat in inches of water and beach the fish too...every time we got him up to the boat in deeper water we almost fell over....wast that big as far as cat terms either....36 pounds