Small Carp??

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Scatter Shad, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Scatter Shad

Scatter Shad New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am wanting to know when is about the best time to get carp that are bout 5 to 6 inches long? Also what would be the best bait to use to get these lil carp. i have caught big carp befor but never lil ones. Any info would help out. Thanks for any INFO.:cool2:

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    From what I've read Carp will grow that much the first year. Part of the reason they can get out of control so easily. They grow so fast as fry that predation really doesn't have much of an effect on them.

Best bet I'm thinking would be to find a small pond with a healthy carp population, and see if you can seine or cast net a school of small ones.

3. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I do best for small ones in winter-early spring, using worms, nymphs, and corn as bait.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i catch mine with a cast net and a sein and also rod reel with corn and a piece of worm

5. Scatter Shad

Scatter Shad New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for all the info. Sorry I have not been on for a few days but i really app. the helpful info.:roll_eyes:

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i do best in winter and early spring. just about any time the flatties aren't niting, i can sure catch a mess of little carp. i use biscuit dough and a tiny octopus hook, and no weight. i catch them around floating docks at community fishing lakes. a lot of the little 8" carp are almost black. good luck to you and welcome to the site.

7. channelbully

channelbully New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I have found that we usually hook into alot of small carp in late fall and early winter. Typically this only occours in smaller ponds usually in the deeper sections of the water (predator fish at this time will be coming into the shallows as the water temp begins to drop. I am assuming that these smaller carp feel safer in the deeper waters at this time.

We have caught small carp on as little as one kernel of corn and as much as 5 kernels of corn. Worms are also another great bait...but you will have to fight off the sunfish and bluegills hahaha

I have never used a new to get fish, but i would have to agree that, that may be a good method as well, but not as challenging as actually fishing for them

Good luck!

8. TwoDogsBarking

TwoDogsBarking New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    When I target carp I use finely crushed wheaties and mix it with strawberry soda-pop and make a thick mush. Mash a big gob on your hook (make it thick) and let it set to harden it up some and it makes a good carp bait